• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can you run the graphical and the consul on the same computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
well i normally use the graphical client because in my experience some games wont play with the service running so i have to shut it down
well i have an 820d and only one instance running so I was going to run two
I tried installing the consul (yes in a different folder/dir) but it keeps linking up with the graphic client and telling me the service is already in use

now i have setup the consul on the xeons and set the machine id and such and never had a problem. would switching the machine id of the graphic client fix this probelm?

820d @ 3.56 (stock volts and stock hsf)
Asus P5Wd2-P
3 gigs ddr2 533
1 X 74 gig raptor
1 X 300 gig seagate sata
evga 256 meg 6600gt

the machineid in each instance's client.cfg on any one rig must be unique ... range is 1-8.

General good practice is also to run with the -local flag set. I don't believe this is actually necessary on the text only client started via command line/shortcut ... but I always use it. I believe it is necessary if running 2 service instances since services rely on the registry to get their flags. Whereas the text only (desktop) console gets it's flags from the command line (which is the target string in a shortcut - the most convenient way to run the text console from the desktop).

/edit ... you may want to switch from using the graphical client to a console instance. It can have problems due to its use of open gl.

I can't remember much about the grahical client since i stopped using it nearly a year ago ... but if you can set it to not run (it runs as a service?) by stopping the service permanently through service-properties. Delete the graphical client.exe and you can put the console version in the same directory ... the console client will continue folding the WU already in that directory.

Last edited:
I assume you did a fresh install of the console? Just in case you copied the graphical directory, mach sure you delete a line in the copied client.cfg file that says "userid=xxxxxx" otherwise you won't get points credited for the second instance.

Back