• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Increasing router power?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
None of those amps listed will put you past FCC regulation.

But the catch is this, you can push as many watts through an antenna as you want as long as no one is complaining. So if you are careful about what frequency you broadcast on and in which direction, you can really go pretty crazy.

The perfect analogy is like having a loud stereo system. If you live in an apartment complex, you gotta keep it low. If you live in the country, blast it as best you can.

Depending on what kind of infrastructure you are trying to setup, it might be better to boost your reception rather than your broadcast.

Is this going to be one router, many mobile clients? Or one router, one long-distance fixed client?

The following page suggests 15watts as an upper limit for wireless routers/ap's.
http://www.qrpis.org/~k3ng/ham_wisp.html

No I was kind of suggesting modifying the router itself. I have seen those boosters around but they are a bit too pricey..

How many clients are you going to have? and are they going to be mobile?

I'm asking because you can use yagi antennas and get amazing results for way cheap.

adamwinn said:
How many clients are you going to have? and are they going to be mobile?

I'm asking because you can use yagi antennas and get amazing results for way cheap.

Just 2 computers no laptops. What is a yagi antenna, a DIY project?

Thanks for the links, I'll give that a read when I get some free time. Not sure If my dad would like that ugly thing in the living room though lol.

A few questions:
1. First, what wireless router are you using? There are ways in which you can change the firmware to increase wireless power.
2. Second, are you able to change the antennas? You can get a different antenna that has a higher dBi.

One comment, you are not increasing the power of your "router", but the power of your "wireless access point" that may be a part of your router.

blkdiamond said:
A few questions:
1. First, what wireless router are you using? There are ways in which you can change the firmware to increase wireless power.
2. Second, are you able to change the antennas? You can get a different antenna that has a higher dBi.

One comment, you are not increasing the power of your "router", but the power of your "wireless access point" that may be a part of your router.

Netgear MR814v2 and I don't think that the antenna is detachable.

Back