• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with unbuntu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmorgan

Need help with ubuntu

Just installed it, have my computer connected to a linksys router but i cant seem to get an internet connection. Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks
Jason

Last edited:
Is your router set to dhcp and do you have your network card set to dhcp? Ubuntu has a nasty habit of setting eth0 or wlan0 or whatever you might have it as as setting it to dhcp on install unless you tell it otherwise. During install did it initialize the card OK and run it through dhcp?

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:C0:F0:5C:AC:00
inet6 addr: fe80::2c0:f0ff:fe5c:ac00/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:3 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:100
TX packets:0 errors:2 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:5 Base address:0x1000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:7426 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:7426 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:674693 (658.8 KiB) TX bytes:674693 (658.8 KiB)

When I installed Ubuntu I did not have it hooked up to the internet. The settings in ubuntu are set to DHCP also router is that way. I have 2 wireless xp computers on the router (thats what I am posting from) and its wired but still I dont get anything.

Not sure on the NIC this is an older Athlon tbird 1 ghz but the nic is a little newer. It used to work with dsl befoe but now I have cable and a wireless router. I have the linksys b router.
Thanks
Jason

also will be building a new computer next week and was wondering if I might have any problems with it. specs are:

Opteron 170
DFI MB
2 gb OCZ ram
ATI 1800 all in wonder
Raptor and 250gb WD drive

No, everything should just work. If you want 3D acceleration you will have to install the fglrx package though.

Are you using wireless? From what ive read, using wireless ethernet requires some driver manipulation. If your using a wired connection you'll have to configure the connection manually to make it work.

its wired. What do I need to configure? I tried to set up a static ip but that didnt really work atleast with the stuff I entered. Do I have to put anything in the DNS tab?

if I do config -a it has one more

sit0 Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 .....
collisions:0 txgueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

anything look wrong in mine?

sit0 is an IPV6 over IPV4 connection. I dont know much about using IPV6, most still use IPV4.

I found this, hopefully its the answer to your problem...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=6841

Edit: I live in gentoo forums, I also found this . If you wanted you could rebuild your kernel and disable IPV6 totally. I could help with that if you wanted, just let me know.

Last edited:
i couldn't get a web page to load when i first installed ubuntu either. i rec'd a msg box stating "this webpage contains no data".

i could ping my router, other computers on my network and websites though.

the reason for me was that for some reason it was bridging my network connections. delete the network bridges if this is the case for you.

hope this helps!

Back