• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU-Z is showing diff clock than my BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tRidiot

Premium Member
I have posted about some of my problems in the DFI MB section, but wasn't able to solve my problems.

I have now installed x64 at least 4 times. Using all nVidia nF4 drivers from their website (but not the IDE drivers). I change my settings in the BIOS and when checking the BIOS after reboot it shows my OC. I'm currently set at 2250 (250x9) 3-4-3-8 1:1 4x HT. This is what my BIOS tells me.

Running nTune from nVidia, shows my temps at 27C idle. Stock 1.35V.

CPU-Z shows me at 1809mHz as does Control Panel in Windows. Now, for a SHORT period of time after my latest install, CPU-Z would show me the proper OC'd speeds, but after a crash yesterday (I've done a few CMOS resets), it's now back to showing stock 1809 (200x9) no matter what I do. nTune is showing my memory at 502, which is what it's rated to run (OCZ Gold GX PC4000).

Why am I getting different stories from CPU-Z and my BIOS?

Maybe cool and quiet is enabled?

what does it say for HTT and multiplier in cpu-z?

Have you tried checking the clock speed with any other utilities? Usually the general tab in the system applet will tell you the clock speed. Oh i see you already checked the control panel.

You've probably already heard cool and quiet from the DFI forum.

BIOS displays whatever it is initiated as.

CPUZ displays current.

Id say cool and quiet is the problem.

Ok good point. I'll reboot and make sure CnQ is disabled. Thanks!

If it turns out not to be enabled, try overclocking the HTT by 5 mhz at a time and check for any difference reported by cpuz.

It was enabled, so I disabled it, but nothing has changed. <sigh>

CPU-Z shows me at 1809, 200x9. However, nTune is showing my RAM at 502, which would indicate it is clocked at 1:1 DD with the HTT at 250. VERY STRANGE.

I'll tell ya what, I'm about ready to RMA this Infinity board and get something that other people actually have and use. If I'd wanted to stay at stock speeds, I could have gotten away with a much cheaper system. :(

hmm that is odd, what does cpu-z say your ram is clocked at in the memory tab, frequency field?

Yikes! It shows the RAM at 201.0MHz, but nTune shows 502. Man that sucks.

Apparently nTune is detecting what the BIOS is SET for, and CPU-Z is detecting what is actually RUNNING? Although WHY it's running that way, I have no idea.... :(

Oh and I'm gonna try a couple of low-scale OC's real quick-like and see what happens. BRB.

Jacked up, man.

200x9, same stats.
205x9, no post
210x9, 1809mHz, RAM 201 in CPU-Z and 420 in nTune.

Nice. Very nice. :(

It sounds like you have a very odd problem tRdoc. Have you checked the bottom of your cpu to make sure all the pins are in good condition?

Ntune is not really a great utility to measure clock speed :p

I know this might be just a long shot but, perhaps you have a jumper on the motherboard set which protects the bios from being changed? If it starts up and says the clock speed you want, maybe try booting a memtest86 cd as an experiment. I think memtest tells you your clock speeds within it and it may help diagnose the problem. (rule out windows).

I have had it post properly as OC'd before, like right after my last x64 reformat. It was odd, it worked for a while, and CPU-Z was dhowing it at the expected higher clock speeds. Then I got some lockups and no-boots and had to reset the CMOS and now it's doing this again, a repeat of the problem before the reformat. This would seem to me to rule out a jumper issue, wouldn't it?

I DO have another CPU I could try, this one is an 0546, and the unopened one is an 0551. I wanted to try to oc them both and find out which one would perform better. Perhaps I should try that one.

I guess I'll probably just let it sit at stock for a while, since I'm about to move 1000 miles to Detroit in a couple of days. I don't really have the time to invest in it right now. :( Gotta get ready to move. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

On another note, your suggestion sounds pretty plausible to me, actually, since when I rec'd this 0546 in the mail, the internal protective packaging had been shredded in the shipping process and the processor was flopping around in the box. After talking to the retailer, I was told this is a common problem with AMD's retail packaging and had not to date resulted in many dead CPUs. So I tried it out and when it posted to stock speeds, Assumed it was ok. No visibly bent pins or anything. Since I've been trying to OC it, RMAing it is out of the question, so maybe I'll just try to recoup some of my money selling it on Ebay. :(

I will try to run Memtest on it, too. I have it but haven't used it yet, I didn't realize it showed clock speeds. I'll try that.

Thanks!

hmm... well you do have a DFI board, I can vouch for the fact that they can be tricky to master, not to mention they have quirks; however, their potential is high when you get the right cmos configuration. I think memtest is a good next step because you'll be able to see what it says as far as cpu and memory clock speed ouside of windows.

Ha. Well, Memtest 86+ works fine. I ran test #5 through a couple of times without issue. It shows 1809MHz CPU and DDR402 for RAM.

<sigh>

I don't get it. If the settings are changed in the damn BIOS then why is everything still running at stock speeds????

BTW the above test was run with the BIOS set at 210x9 (1890), 4x HT and 1:1 memory 3-4-3-8.

Okay so I think that means we have narrowed it down to a hardware / firmware issue... Unless every piece of software, windows and memtest are messed up (which I doubt).

Have you upgraded your bios, I just remmebered a student at school say that they had to update thier bios before thier athlon x2 4200 would run at its full speed. Perhaps it is possible the bios doesn't quite recognize the cpu so it resets the cpu speed at every boot.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm running the 831 BIOS from Tmod's 6.5 CD found over at dfi-street. I've posted my problem over there, too, hoping someone might have some ideas, but the Infinity boards are not too widely tested yet, and not many seem to have much first-hand in-depth experience. I shoulda just spent the extra $40 and got the better board. :(

What a dummy.

Have you tried any other bios's? DFI boards are quirky and people get different milage out of different bios's even on the same board (mostly due to various hardware configurations)

In my opinion, your problem either has to do with the bios or the hardware. if we can rule out the bios as much as possible, the next step would be to determine which hardware is causing the problem. I think if that is the case, it will be either the cpu or motherboard that is the problem. I know that in many cases, if you remove a cpu and put it back in, the system will reset the cpu speed. If cmos is unable to retain the data that says the cpu has not been reinstalled, it may believe that the cpu has just been installed and reset the FSB to 200.

Last edited:
I was having the same problem with the stock BIOS that came with the board. I updated hoping to clear up the CPU temp issue and the non-working sound issue, but both remained. I suppose I can try flashing back to one of the other BIOS on that CD. Maybe I'll give that a shot tomorrow.... looks like I'm stuck sitting at home waiting on the wife's package of baby clothes to arrive via FedEx. lol

Back