• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC an P3 866

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lundqvia

Hi!
I´ve got an P3 866 that i´d like to OC. At the moment i´m running it at 150FSB*6.5 and 1.8v (otherwise its´s not stable)

The temperature shows 28C when just running the OS, and 32C after playing a game.

This is my spec:
ABIT VH6-II
Intel PIII-866 with Golden Orb
256MB RAM
Creative Geforce2 GTS

I can control the FSB up to 200 and the multipler to I think atleast *8

I haven´t dared go higher then 150*6.5, but what do U guys think?

Regards
Andreas from Sweden

Hi! Welcome to the forums! I have a P3 866 too. I'v got it to 1007 ( stable, runs every program I have ). Could go higher to 1040 easy, but doesn't run all programs. You could proberly get your fsb up to 155. Depends o your mobo. If you can't, maby get the latest bios for your board. Helped me a great deal ( have the ASUS CUSL2-C ). Hope you can get it higher!!!!
Good luck..... :cool:

Dont go too high the Golden Orb isn't good for those highly processed speeds..

It'll do good 700 and under ...
I suggest an Alpha PEP66.

Thanks! I´m gonna try to take the FSB higher.

this is how I can change my BIOS:
FSB 66-200
Multiple *3 - *12
Voltage 1.3v - 1.9v

How should I run the DRAM CLK? Host CLK or HCLK-PCICLK?

Bye the way, Where can I get me one of those Alpha PEP66?

Tried to raise the FSB, at 160*6,5 it hung the computer after a wile (got a bluescreen that said a memory adress problem)

Right now I´m running at 155*6,5.

Is the CPU´s multiplier locked? I tried to raise the multiple in BIOS but it didn´t show more than 6,5 under POST.

lundqvia said:
Tried to raise the FSB, at 160*6,5 it hung the computer after a wile (got a bluescreen that said a memory adress problem)

Right now I´m running at 155*6,5.

Is the CPU´s multiplier locked? I tried to raise the multiple in BIOS but it didn´t show more than 6,5 under POST.

Welcome to the forums! Your combo is a good one... I think so, anyway, because I use the same stuff. :)

Yes, the multiplier is locked. And there's been no one able to figure out how to unlock it (this is true for everything since the 300, I think).

I was able to run this CPU stable at 1100 before I switched to my current processor. Your memory may be a limiting factor. Mine was good to 160 before I had to run at -PCICLK. Adjusting your timings and CAS Latency may also help.

Use small FSB increments when going higher and let it ride there for a little while. This seems to work best for me. It's tempting to change it quick and keep moving, but I've fragged my HD 3 times in two weeks doing that. :)

A couple of other considerations: Change the gorb - it's working well now, but better safe than sorry. And use active cooling on your North Bridge. This should help when running your PCI way out of spec.

Adjusting your timings and CAS Latency may also help.
-How do U meen? Is there another setting I can change?

And use active cooling on your North Bridge. This should help when running your PCI way out of spec.
-What do U meen with active cooling?

Sorry about the "silly" Qs, but I´m rather new with OC

lundqvia said:
Adjusting your timings and CAS Latency may also help.
-How do U meen? Is there another setting I can change?

And use active cooling on your North Bridge. This should help when running your PCI way out of spec.
-What do U meen with active cooling?

Sorry about the "silly" Qs, but I´m rather new with OC

No problem. Everyone is new sometime. :)

Memory: In the BIOS, Advanced Chipset Features menu. The timings are the first 3 lines. I run mine on turbo, but if this creates a problem they can be reduced to fast, medium, etc. The 6th line down is where you set the CAS Latency (SDRAM Cycle Length, it's called there). 2 is faster, but at high FSB you need good memory to handle this. 3 is better for stability (and normal or lower quality RAM).

Active cooling: Nerdy way to say fan (or water-cooling). The green HS on the NB isn't very good. Better than nothing, maybe. I removed it and use a CPU HSF combo with some thermal compound. Before that, I stuck a little 486 CPU fan over it. The NB controls your PCI/AGP (I think that's right). Better cooling on that should help at higher FSB speeds.

All these recent threads on the 866 is making me want to put mine back in and push it more. :D

Ahh. Thanks.

Im "burning in" my CPU right now att 160*6,5 using Prime95 and I´ve also got WinAmp in the background. I changed to -PCICLK. I havent changed the CAS yet.

According to Hardware Sensors Monitoring its temperature is 37,1C and stable with the program running. Not running any progs it showed 25C-29C.

How high do U guys think I can push it?

The computer has run like this since my last reply.

lundqvia said:
Im "burning in" my CPU right now att 160*6,5 using Prime95 and I´ve also got WinAmp in the background. I changed to -PCICLK. I havent changed the CAS yet.

According to Hardware Sensors Monitoring its temperature is 37,1C and stable with the program running. Not running any progs it showed 25C-29C.

How high do U guys think I can push it?

The computer has run like this since my last reply.

37 isn't too bad. What's room temp? Mine was running about 8C above ambient when I pulled it.

It's possible to run it to 1100 or more. It will depend on the rest of your system, though. Memory, HDs, and other PCI devices can all screw up a good OC. The only things I have are a NIC, video, and HDs. If you're on DSL/cable, your NIC will be the first to cause problems.

Let her ride at 160 for a bit to see what she'll do. I've had everything run fine for a short while, then SETI decides it doesn't like my choice of speed. :) Prime95, SETI@Home, Folding@Home, and Sandra's Burn-In test are all good for stability testing. (I would, of course, recommend SETI@Home since I just joined the overclockers.com team. :D)

All my spec:
ABIT VH6-II
Intel P3 866/133
Samsung 256MB/133
Seagate 18GB LVD 10´rpm
Adaptec 2940U2W
Intel Pro+ NIC
Creative Geforce2 GTS
Creative Live!

I let Prime run for about 1h30 and it didn´t report any problems

I´ve been playing Counter Strike and Delta Force LW online after that, and the temperature has lowered down to 35.3C (and after finnished playing down to 25C-26.5C)

I´m still running 160*6,[email protected] and havent changed the CAS yet.:)

The temp in room is 19.6C.

I´ve just installed a fan over my NB (just putted a screw down the HS) so lets see if I can´t lower the temp abit more.

I´ve also got a Cel 900/100 on a Gigabit MB that I haven´t OC´d, but the temp on thatone is 39C. I really don´t get it:(

lundqvia said:
The temp in room is 19.6C.

I´ve just installed a fan over my NB (just putted a screw down the HS) so lets see if I can´t lower the temp abit more.

I´ve also got a Cel 900/100 on a Gigabit MB that I haven´t OC´d, but the temp on thatone is 39C. I really don´t get it:(

Maybe think about further cooling on the 866. I don't know what other people usually run, but 16 over ambient on it seems a bit high. It's obviously not affecting you yet since you seem to be stable. It might be a problem when you go higher. I'd recommend a HS with loads o' fins (I use a Gladiator). And if noise doesn't bother you, a nice Delta or YS-Tech fan on top.

On the 900, does it have a different HSF?

The guys in the Cooling forum can direct you to the current be-all-end-all HSF. I only know what works for me. :) And check out Cyber Deals or Vendor Discussion forums for more info on where to buy.

Keep up the good work.

The HSF is a standard that came with the CPU, I haven´t thought about OC it yet but it will come.

I let my 866 run all the night in 165*6,5, with both Seti@home and Prime95 running, and when I now check the temp its 32,7.

Thanks

lundqvia said:
The HSF is a standard that came with the CPU, I haven´t thought about OC it yet but it will come.

I let my 866 run all the night in 165*6,5, with both Seti@home and Prime95 running, and when I now check the temp its 32,7.

Looking very good. If you get to 169 or better, let me know. I'll have to put mine back in and try to beat you then. :)

Back