• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plan on going SLI, need a quick question answered.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
V10Ace said:
Man, why'd you have to show me that thread? :(
It didn't bother me at all. I read the whole thread and I'm still planning on setting up a second card in SLI next week. This 7800GT has been wonderful and I can't wait to play with two of them together. . . I personally wouldn't ever switch to ATI for various reasons (which I won't mention here to avoid starting a war. :argue: ) . . .

Ok, fine, I'll admit it . . . I like the green guys :cool: more than the red. :mad: . . . There, I said it. :p

Last edited:
Revivalist said:
It didn't bother me at all. I read the whole thread and I'm still planning on setting up a second card in SLI next week. This 7800GT has been wonderful and I can't wait to play with two of them together. . . I personally wouldn't every switch to ATI for various reasons (which I won't mention to avoid starting a war. :argue: ) . . .

Ok, fine, I'll admit it . . . I like the green guys :cool: more than the red. :mad: . . . There, I said it. :p

I still am too, to tell you the truth. The increase at 12 x 10 with everything turned on means that much to me. :p

Dont listen to any thread explaining to you "why you shouldnt SLI your rig". Do whatever you want to do. You work hard in your life to afford to have the choice and opportunity of putting whatever you want into your PC setup. Even though I do not advocate the use of an SLI setup, nor will I be using an SLI setup in the near future I still feel that ultimately the choice is up to you and I would hate to see some thread change your mind about something that you had your heart set on.

You will definitely get a top of the line performance increase from this setup. I wish you luck, keep us posted.

Dom

dominick32 said:
Dont listen to any thread explaining to you "why you shouldnt SLI your rig". Do whatever you want to do. You work hard in your life to afford to have the choice and opportunity of putting whatever you want into your PC setup. Even though I do not advocate the use of an SLI setup, nor will I be using an SLI setup in the near future I still feel that ultimately the choice is up to you and I would hate to see some thread change your mind about something that you had your heart set on.

You will definitely get a top of the line performance increase from this setup. I wish you luck, keep us posted.

Dom
Right but I think its a public service to show the benefits you get from SLI and not just go "WOW cool, SLI".
Its not my cash but I do my best to show people what they get for the money and so do many people on this board and they/we don't deserve the bashing.

Back to the topic
I thought SLI was possible only with two IDENTICAL cards with the same BIOS...

Midnight Dream said:
Unless there has been some major change that I am unaware of, then quoted for truth. SLi = 2 identical cards + same bios.
Exactly, I remember people buying the exact same model but with a different BIOS and it wouldn't work.

TRUTH: The latest drivers WILL allow you to run two similar cards in SLI. As in, you can run two 7800GT's of any type, or two GTX's of any type; but, you cannot have one 6800 and one 7800.

As with any video card, I also recommend that you update the bios of each to their latest official, OR perhaps even bios-based-voltmods for both! ;)

Back