• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best thermal paste bar none?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
i ran out of as5,and i had to buy some radio shack white silicone and its rather sucky as we all know.

i need to place an order for some paste for my laptop so i need the best stuff there is.
i know i saw joe or ed talking about some stuff they was testing a while back that was supposedly great but ive been ways and out of the loop.

so anyone have suggestions besides ceramique or as5?i want ceramique as its great and cheaper.

but before i but it i wanted to ask.btw ebay is fine also so pls link me to anything that isnt commenly found.

you are thinking the TherMax Korea HiFlux, sensitive and difficult to work with and hard to find but the numbers definately indicate better performance than AS5

otherwise AS5 is the way to go

greyharte said:
you are thinking the TherMax Korea HiFlux, sensitive and difficult to work with and hard to find but the numbers definately indicate better performance than AS5

yeh that was the stuff.ill look around for it,know where i can get any?

the mx1 sounds good ill research it more as shinetsu makes some quality compounds,it did get a few bad reviews at newegg but many noobs post results also.

The thermax is good stuff, a Gallium mixture is also potentially an option assuming you are willing to take the risk.
Both of these solutions perform better than AS5, but come with their own setbacks and risks.
For instance, a combination of Gallium and another metal is very effective: it spreads very thin, and has incredible thermal transfer, but it is highly reactive and will corrode certain metals, aluminum being one. Because it has a nature of wicking and spreading on its own, it can ultimately flow into or underneath your processor and kill your motherboard, CPU, or both.
Thermax is hard to work with and has a relatively high phase change temperature, and there have been reports that it does not always form a coherent bond even at or above those temperatures.
AS5 is a relatively safe compund that is easy to work with and provides ample performance. While you may be able to get slightly better performance with one of the other compounds, it is up to you whether 1-2c are truly worth the inherent risks that come with the alternatives.

My personal favorite is Shin Etsu X23-7783D. And I have tried about every paste I could
find, and a few things from the garage. :D

Of course there are some bad reviews of SE at New Egg. Plenty of n00bs.
SE definitely takes a more refined application technique. You can't just slap a
small dab in the middle, install the sink, & call it a day like you can with AS5.

Susquehannock said:
My personal favorite is Shin Etsu X23-7783D. And I have tried about every paste I could
find, and a few things from the garage. :D

Of course there are some bad reviews of SE at New Egg. Plenty of n00bs.
SE definitely takes a more refined application technique. You can't just slap a
small dab in the middle, install the sink, & call it a day like you can with AS5.

I've never used that technique. Maybe it's just me, but I feel better when I spread the rice grain size of AS5 all over the CPU IHS evenly with my exacto knife.

I've never heard of Shin Etsu before, how hard is it to spread?

greyharte said:

I got a sample of this stuff, in the testing that was going on, and in my opinion, it wasn't worth the hassle. It needs to get up to 60-65 degrees, just to seat. (It has to get hot enough to melt.)

My IC7 Max3, with a waterblock on it, I had to shut the pump and W/C rig completely down, and run it at 60+, for about 10 minutes, just to get it to melt, and that wasn't easy. After it melted in, my performance was about the same as AS5, or maybe 1/2 degree better.

I also used it on an IBM Thinkpad T23, which runs well in excess of 65 degrees. (The fan kicked on at 80 or 82 degrees, and off at 68.) So, it was easier to melt in. Even though, it didn't cool any better.

In my (neve to be) humble opinion, AS5 or Ceramique are just about as good as you can get, right now.

steve

skou said:
I got a sample of this stuff, in the testing that was going on, and in my opinion, it wasn't worth the hassle. It needs to get up to 60-65 degrees, just to seat. (It has to get hot enough to melt.)

My IC7 Max3, with a waterblock on it, I had to shut the pump and W/C rig completely down, and run it at 60+, for about 10 minutes, just to get it to melt, and that wasn't easy. After it melted in, my performance was about the same as AS5, or maybe 1/2 degree better.

I also used it on an IBM Thinkpad T23, which runs well in excess of 65 degrees. (The fan kicked on at 80 or 82 degrees, and off at 68.) So, it was easier to melt in. Even though, it didn't cool any better.

In my (neve to be) humble opinion, AS5 or Ceramique are just about as good as you can get, right now.

steve
sounds to be more a pita than anything.
i like no fuss,long as its works well.wich as5 and ceramic does.

if someone can link me to the Shin Etsu X23-7783D where i can buy it i may try it.i do know some has been proved better than as5.just depends on the user appliying it.

Maviryk said:
>>>>
I've never heard of Shin Etsu before, how hard is it to spread?
Yes, Shin etsu is thick & tacky so it can be a bear to spread. The more you
work it the worse it gets. So if possible it is best to get it on the 1st try.

Also, many heat the tube of paste in hot water first to make it spread easier.

deathstar13 said:
>>>>>>
if someone can link me to the Shin Etsu X23-7783D where i can buy it i may try it.i do know some has been proved better than as5.just depends on the user appliying it.
You can get Shin Etsu here*.

Susquehannock said:
Yes, Shin etsu is thick & tacky so it can be a bear to spread. The more you
work it the worse it gets. So if possible it is best to get it on the 1st try.

Also, many heat the tube of paste in hot water first to make it spread easier.

You can get Shin Etsu here*.
i fear no difficult task like that,thats my enjoyment actually.
anyhow i had to email the guy as i dont use paypal,hopefully he will take a money order as payment.
ty for the link!

No problem on the lynk. 'GBR' is great to deal with & will probably be happy to accomodate you.

You might want to check out this SE application guide.

After a lot of trial & error I have come up with my own method. Basically I apply some SE onto a piece
of lens paper (coffee filters work too) and gently rub the paste in a thin translucent layer onto both
the CPU and sink.
If your mating surfaces aren't extremely flat or smooth you may want to apply a slightly thicker layer.
The main thing is SE is highly viscous, so any excess will not squeeze out.

** Legal crap -
This poster has no affiliation with Shin Etsu or the seller above. All views are strictly the opinion of the poster.

Susquehannock said:
No problem on the lynk. 'GBR' is great to deal with & will probably be happy to accomodate you.

You might want to check out this SE application guide.

After a lot of trial & error I have come up with my own method. Basically I apply some SE onto a piece
of lens paper (coffee filters work too) and gently rub the paste in a thin translucent layer onto both
the CPU and sink.
If your mating surfaces aren't extremely flat or smooth you may want to apply a slightly thicker layer.
The main thing is SE is highly viscous, so any excess will not squeeze out.

** Legal crap -
This poster has no affiliation with Shin Etsu or the seller above. All views are strictly the opinion of the poster.
i read his guide when i looked at the link the first time.
id be afraid of useing your method only for the reason any fibers pulled off the filter or cloth would defintly cause mating issues.mabey it wouldnt be as bad as i would think tho.
hopefully he gets back with me soon.

deathstar13 said:
i read his guide when i looked at the link the first time.
id be afraid of useing your method only for the reason any fibers pulled off the filter or cloth would defintly cause mating issues.mabey it wouldnt be as bad as i would think tho.
hopefully he gets back with me soon.
You are right. Any stray fibers would not be good. Which is why using a cotton swab, as some
have recommended in the past, is generally not a good idea. However, with lens paper or
coffee filters, stray fibers are not really a problem. Which is why many use them for cleaning their heatsink.

GBR from pc perspective answered my email and will take a money order. :)
im thinking its 1oz tubes? i didnt ask him but if thats the case i better get 2.

you are right coffee filters and lens paper shouldnt have stray fibers but i dont like taking a chance.ill just use the tape method he showed.

ty everyone for the help!

Back