• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help an ex-Intel boy with his new Rig :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godemiche

Registered
Sup Fella's? I've seen the light at the end of the tunnel and will be retiring my intel system in a few days... The last AMD system I had was a XP2000+ and I've been an Intel junky since then. Help me build a decent system from scratch...

Processor: thinking 3200+ venice, Opteron 144?? under $200 if possible.

Motherboard: Give me some suggestions, there are so many out there. Seems all the DFI lanparty MoBo's OC like a Mofo... Not sure If I want the SLI option or not, maybe good to have for the long run, huh?? Just aslong as its got PCI-E, 939, & can see FSB of 260-270 + ......

Memory: should I keep the gig of pc3200 from my intel system or get something faster??

Video Card: I'll probably pick up the 6800GS PCI-E from newegg for under $200, hard to beat that deal.. :D

Power Supply: Have no clue on this one, the one I have now came with the case (300 watt) and I'm sure I'll need a new one for this system, expecially since they're 24 pin now...

144, lanparty, try to find some Tccd, fortron blue storm or Any antec. 6800gs wouldnt be my first choice, probably GTO2.

The Ultra-D is the mobo of choice, and it doesn't come SLI ready, so its the one for you.

The Opty 144 is a good buy, but you should try hard to get the 146, people are reporting serious overclocks with the 146, but just marginal for the 144 (why this is the case is anyones guess).

Your memory is fine. A64 systems have no problem with stability while using dividers, so don't waste money on memory. Any good pc3200 mem is the perfect choice.

I am not a big NVidia fan, but that is a good card. As chris64 suggested tho, the GTO2 is a better choice for the same money, and overclocks like hell.

PSU is probably your most important decision. You definitely cannot stay with the one you have if you're going to overclock (if you're not, then disregard this whole message cuz there is no need to go with Ultra-D or Opty then)., you'll need a quality PSU of 400W or more. Antecs are ok, but most are dual 12V rail. Find a good 400W+ single 12V rail PSU and you'll be rollin.

Back