• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pcprobe work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

augerpro

Just built a comp tonight with the a8n32. pcprobe reads 41c at idle and 50c on the mb. Is this right? cpu is opty 165 witha xp120 cooling it. It's seated fine as far as I can tell...

Well I think the fins were hitting the tallXMS ram. So I put the stock cooloer on and now my odle is 39-40. Under dual prime it gets to 52c! How the heck can I oc when it runs this hot? I'm thinking the probe must be off. Anyone with an a8n32 see something like this?

Bah! after primeing for awhile it idles at 44c! And it took 5 minutes to get there, usually the temps dropped right off after closing prime. This can't be right...

What does the BIOS say? And try a different program like Speedfan to compare temps.

If they remain the same....

I'd possibly reseat the heatsink, and don't use a ton of TIM inbetween it. Which way are your heatpipes facing in your case? (down, left/right, up). I've heard heatpipes pointing towards the top of your case can make it not function as well as it should. Do you have adequate air flow in your case?

Last edited:
BIOS agrees. pipes are pointed up. It may be too much as5, but I've seen a number of posts about the same thing with this board. Although the there is no consensus on whether it is real or bad readings. I have a scythe and Arctic Cooler freezer in the mail, and I'm gonna work on my airflow. If temps are still high I'm inclined to believe it's just a bad reading. I had the side of the case off, so this might not help the computer cool as a whole but the cpu should have been plenty cool. dunno...

augerpro said:
BIOS agrees. pipes are pointed up. It may be too much as5, but I've seen a number of posts about the same thing with this board. Although the there is no consensus on whether it is real or bad readings. I have a scythe and Arctic Cooler freezer in the mail, and I'm gonna work on my airflow. If temps are still high I'm inclined to believe it's just a bad reading. I had the side of the case off, so this might not help the computer cool as a whole but the cpu should have been plenty cool. dunno...

yeah, you'll get those temps down.

Maybe some decent case airflow should cool the motherboard down. PCProbe is pretty accurate to me, except it's a pretty big resource hog, I rather use SpeedFan.

darksparkz said:
Maybe some decent case airflow should cool the motherboard down. PCProbe is pretty accurate to me, except it's a pretty big resource hog, I rather use SpeedFan.

What kind of temps are you getting?

I'm getting 29/31C (depending on room temp) idle, and 37/38C while folding. Up to 40C while running prime95/stress cpu/cpu burn (the heavier stuff).

ive noticed a trend in the A8nSLI-32 heat issues myself. even stock settings with out overclocking at all it is really hot. and abnormaly hot for the motherboard, but decent for the CPU. (especaily because im used to running a 3.2 prescott @ 3.5)

im running two 7800 GTX's and nothing in my system is overclocked. im getting temperatures around 97F for the motherboard, and 104 for the CPU. im wondering where this heat bottleneck is occuring? this doesnt seem right to me. how can my motherboard be naerly as hot as my CPU? ive turned on my massive blower fan, but its the 265CFM one from frozenCPU.com and it is way too loud. with that running and my case open of course, i get around 84F for the motherboard, and 96F for the CPU. i cant close my case out of fear that im going to damage my board over time with these temperatures.

these temperatures cannot be right, where on the motherboard is the sensor located for reading the temperature?

my solution to this problem would be to just remove that massive heat spreader, and replace the thermal compound that comes with the board, with a very conservative amount of AS5. but im not to sure that would be wise to screw with it. especially because it is a pain in the neck to remove the cards once they are installed for SLI.

im sort of lost here. should i ignore the sensor? or should i try to aleviate the problem with some AS5, and possible a Zalman CPU cooler.

augerpro said:
Just built a comp tonight with the a8n32. pcprobe reads 41c at idle and 50c on the mb. Is this right? cpu is opty 165 witha xp120 cooling it. It's seated fine as far as I can tell...

Did you ever fix this problem? Last night I fired up my FX60 in my A8N32SLI for the first time. I used the stock HS and Fan with the stock grease removed, cleaned and purified the surfaces, then applied a very thin layer of AS5.

Sitting in BIOS, the hardware monitor reports my CPU at 41c! This is at all stock settings and volts. The side of the case is off, there are twin 120mm rear fans, and the room temp is about 22c. I thought it would be a seating problem, so I removed the HS/Fan and cleaned, purified, and re-applied AS5 and it still reports the same temps.

Anyone else with this board have funny CPU temps reported? Solutions?

Surfrider I have a sythe ninja and AC freezer coming on wednesday. I'm going to get my airflow right then I'll post what I find. A fellow Nicholas over at extremeoverclocking.com had good luck getting his temps down witha good hsf (a64 freezer) and case airflow work. This common for owners of this board I think.

The good news is this forces us to think about our cooling. If the temp is correct, at least we know we can get acceptable results as long as we have a smart cooling solution. And if it's reading higher then what everything really is, then we know we're getting REALLY good cooling. So let's try some things and post what we find so new owners don't freak out like we have.

BTW I still don't really believe the probe is accurate. If there any people out there with access to both the a8n32 and the DFI board and have a temp probe PLEASE do all of us a8n32 owners a favor: put the same chip and hsf on both boards (or even just an a8n32 that shows high temps) and measure the actual temp. Then we'll now if this board reading high (or maybe dfi has just been reading low all this time :p )

Last edited:
I found the problem. My A8N32 board was default volting the chip at 1.42 VCore! I have since tweaked it down to 1.35 VCore. (AMD Recommend 1.30-1.35) My temps are idling a cool 34c with a fresh coat of AS5 and Zalman 9500. I am hoping it will come down another couple degrees once the AS5 beds in.

I have posted the info on the ASUS forums as well.

Huh, you know mine was showing 1.39, I didn't even think about it. But we can still expect these high temps as soon as we OC, so I still want to know if this are real temps or not. The one common thread is ppl who had lowered there temps effectively seemed to all be using A64 freezers. I wonder if this is because the temp probe is somewhat exposed and coolers that have fans pointed at the board are causing abnormally high readings. My stock hsf and even my xp120 (with fan) showed basically the same temp. But freezers blow across the board so the temp is more accurate. I dunno, just a stab in the dark. Hopefully someone can take actual temp reading and post it.

well after corrcting the voltage I still get hot reading cpu=38 mb=38 and this is w/my window open and outside temp is 43F.

augerpro said:
Huh, you know mine was showing 1.39, I didn't even think about it. But we can still expect these high temps as soon as we OC, so I still want to know if this are real temps or not. The one common thread is ppl who had lowered there temps effectively seemed to all be using A64 freezers. I wonder if this is because the temp probe is somewhat exposed and coolers that have fans pointed at the board are causing abnormally high readings. My stock hsf and even my xp120 (with fan) showed basically the same temp. But freezers blow across the board so the temp is more accurate. I dunno, just a stab in the dark. Hopefully someone can take actual temp reading and post it.

Well I am using a Zalman 9500 cooler (blows to the exhaust out the back of case) and I am still running about 38c idle, so it cant be the fans blowing at the chips. There are quite a few people with this issue on ASUS forums and I would go so far as to say the people running "normal" low 30s idle are by far the minority.

One thing I think that could be the reason why is the low 30s tems could be attributed to Cool and Quiet. Mine is disabled, but if I downclock my CPU to about 1.6G via the Freq multi, it drops down to about 34c. (AS5 not bedded in) People using Cool and Quiet are more than likely going to see Idles around 32c with a proper HS/Fan and AS5.

Back