• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sparkle FSP530-60GNA for an A64 OC'd rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SunTzu69

I landed on this post (see comments in the 8th post in the thread):

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20144

Since Sparkle is essentially the same as Fortron in PSU's, I am concerned that my PSU might lack the amps on the 12v rail to run my A64 system with ATI 800XT-PE. Lately, I have been getting more and more issues as I push my machine harder (World of Warcraft patches apparently stress the system's bus more and more). I get memory related errors from the game but my system passes Memtest86 with no issues.

At the moment, I am rebuilding my rig and having problems getting to the BIOS screen.

Any chance I need a new PSU?

Unfortunately yes - the 530W is a very good PSU, but not designed for these loads. I would suggest something over 430W from Fortron/Sparkle, Antec, Seasonic, Enhance/Silverstone/Akasa, Zippy, or OCZ/Tagan as a replacement.

Thanks Wolf

Oklahoma Wolf said:
Unfortunately yes - the 530W is a very good PSU, but not designed for these loads. I would suggest something over 430W from Fortron/Sparkle, Antec, Seasonic, Enhance/Silverstone/Akasa, Zippy, or OCZ/Tagan as a replacement.

At the beginning my system would work well overclocked. I did hit a little under the potential that I thought the system would deliver, however. Over the past year, I have added an extra hard-drive and some lighting. Also, the tech support from Blizzard Entertainment say that with every new patch for their game, there is tremendous stress added to a system's memory requirements as there are no level loads and the BUS is constantly working. Every patch brings more instability to this game for me.

My question is - Do these types of problems occur when a powersupply is becoming too weak to handle the 12v load? If these occasional memory problems could be caused by the PSU, I am tempted to reduce my load and see if it helps the crashes. Then possibly I can isolate that I do indeed need an upgrade.

Does this make sense?

Last edited:
Yes - and the cooling design on these doesn't do much to help matters either. Mine's been running much cooler since I moved the intake fan, but I'm still replacing it for my upgrade.

I'm pretty certain you'll need to replace the 530W, but you could indeed lighten the load and see what happens. It will probably get more stable.

Back