• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is gaming affected

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

medo145

i was readin about stuff on page files and came across these tweaks suggested by someone.

Code:
At HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Session Manager/Memory Management, add a DWORD value 
named "LargeSystemCache" (CaseSensitive) and while you are at it, you might as well add DWORD 
value "DisableExecutivePaging" (This prevents Windows from paging key files to to the hard drive) 
as well. You might also want to add a value named "ClearPageFileAtShutdown" as well, pretty self 
explanatory what it does.
All these values should be set to 1 to enable, and 0 to disable.

My question is, do these tweaks affect gaming at all? (load times, quality and stuff)

If you have a gig or more of RAM then it couldn't hurt. I've used the disableexecutivepaging tweak and it keeps the Windows core files in RAM. If you have less than a gig I could see it hurting gaming, but even a large xp install only uses about 100mb. Having it enabled makes my system feel more responsive at any rate. The pagefile/shutdown "tweak" will end up getting on your nerves though. While it can give you more security (if you're paranoid), it can add a LOT of time to your shutdown sequence, and it doesn't do anything to defrag the PF (so performance isn't affected at all). Basically it's pretty much useless to enable that. I think the LargeSystemCache value has something to do with increasing the amount of RAM available to XP, and you might as well enable it if you have enough memory.

What about moving the page file to a different drive? Wouldnt that be a bit safer. I was thinking about moving my pagefile to a raptor drive.

i wouldn't put the pagefile on a different drive then the one my OS is installed on.

and not sure if it matters but "DisableExecutivePaging" is "DisablePagingExecutive" for me.

Drec said:
"DisableExecutivePaging" is "DisablePagingExecutive" for me.

me too i just quoted what i read in on of the posts i found and when i changed the 0s to 1s i noticed that name and just assumed that it is the same thing

Back