• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sata controller no longer works after changing OC.. HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RaDoNx

Registered
Few days ago I received my new computer which consists of:

CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000)
MB ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe NF4SLI 939
VGA EVGA N 7800GT CO 256-P2-N517-AX
CPU AMD 64 |3700+ ATHLON 64 939P RT
Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

I hook it all up, everything runs great. Of course.. the next day was overclocking time. So I messed around, got it runnin 300 x 10 (3x ltd) and memory set at DDR266 I believe. Ran some tests.. everything was stable except for prime95. I would get rounding errors.

The next day.. I go in to mess around some more.. and the last thing I had was runnin 260 x 11 with memory set at DDR266 (4xLTD). Then I went ahead and changed thememory to DDR400, I looked away and next thing i know it just reset after tryin to load windows.

Turns out, from here on out, the hdrives plugged into normal SATA connectors.. dont get recognized in bios. In fact, when a SATA drive is connected to normal SATA conected (not raid controller), it takes about 10 sec extra then normal.

I tried the sata hdrive then in my buddies computer and it recognized it fine, so i know its not the hdrive. Then I went ahead and plugged my hdrive into the raid sata plugs.. and the raid card recognized it. After this, I tried to plug in my buddies sata hdrive into my normal SATA connector (not raid) and his also did not get recognized.

Im at a loss, I have reset everything in bios (cleared cmos) but nothin fixes it. Only thing I can think is that somehow the sata controller is fried?? Anyone have any sort of suggestions or ideas?

Sounds like the controller is fried. I lost mine after a BIOS update (saw the drives but could not boot or reinstall windows) had to call Asus and get an RMA#. Sorry hope that helps a little.

RaDoNx,

That happended to me too after an overclock that wouldnt post. When I check the bios the nVidia raid had been disabled. Go check that in the bios. Enable the raid function and each sata controller that you have a drive plugged into.

Hope that works for you.

If you don't plug the drives into a locked SATA port. It's not going to work. I'm not sure if ALL 8 ports are locked or if only the Nvidia ports are locked and if so which ones. I know for the three days I had that board I didn't have any issues on the Nvidia ports 1 and 3.

Also, you shouldn't be running 4x at an HTT of 260. You need to keepthe total at or below 1000. That could be part of your problem. There is no difference between 5x and 3x.

BTW, the reason that I returned it is because it will not run 1T over anything above 240. I know mine wouldn't and from what I read....99% won't.

You got your new toy and you're ready to play :p , but going straight to 300 is looking for trouble. It should take days to get there. AngryGames @ DFI Street takes up to 11 days overclocking a CPU to maximum. You said it is stable at everything but Prime...well then it's not stable at all. You may think it's stable....but watch as your drive slowly fragments.

Last edited:
Back