• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Searching for Distro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I haven't used the three in my second link, but they look pretty nice. The only one I have used is GeeXboX, and it is very good. I enjoyed using it, and if you need any help with it, just send me a PM, start a thread, or what-not.

Rysjimmy1994 said:
That freepia looks sweet... but im linux retarded so that probally wont help to much

I'll give it a shot tomorrow, and then give you some feedback on it, and how to set it up. But for now, I need some sleep. ;)

So GeeXboX is cool, but I dont want to have to boot it from CD... Is there anyway I can boot it from my harddrive? I am kinda looking for an OS

Last edited:
Well, you can install any distro of linux that you want, and then you can add PVR software to it. It doesn't need to be part of the OS. There are 3 options really for PVR's. MythTV, Geexbox, and Freevo. MythTv is far and away the most powerful, but is also the hardest to set up and get working (unless you use the bootable CD, KnoppMyth, which runs from a CD). I use it myself, but it was quite a challenge to set up.

If i you had a linux media sever can you get stuff off of it with xp computers or do all of them have to be linux os?

linux uses samba to see windows machines.....

when i set mine up, the mandrake saw the windows shares on my network w/out any configuration, whereas i was having issues with my windows machines seeing each other.

Back