• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dumb question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
i dont know much about amd mobos, on intel mobos most of then have four ram slots, slot1a slot2a slot1b slot2b.

if you want to run dual chan put ram in slot1a and slot1b "or into both blue or black slots"

now on amd mobos i see mostly 3 ram slots, 1 black and 2 blue, ifi want to run dual chan would i put a stick of ram into each blue slot ?

DDR-PIII said:
i dont know much about amd mobos, on intel mobos most of then have four ram slots, slot1a slot2a slot1b slot2b.

if you want to run dual chan put ram in slot1a and slot1b "or into both blue or black slots"

now on amd mobos i see mostly 3 ram slots, 1 black and 2 blue, ifi want to run dual chan would i put a stick of ram into each blue slot ?
How about RTFM..they're available on the MOBO mfgrs site.

Flip-Mode said:
Yeah, 99% of the time you need to use the same color slots to dual channel.

billb, you are kinda rude don't you think?

thanks, both are exactly what I was thinking.

If the motherboard has only 3 memory slots then most likely it does not support dual-channel memory.

billb, there are better ways in giving advice. Be more tolerant.

TranceBear said:
If the motherboard has only 3 memory slots then most likely it does not support dual-channel memory.

Asus A7N8X, Abit NF7(s), Shuttle AN35N Ultra(to name a few), all have 3 slots and all support dual channel ram. I had the shuttle and I'm pretty sure I had to use one blue and one black, as the black was the second channel.

Edit:

From my AN35N Ultra manual:

ramtable.jpg

I beleive its this way for any Nforce 2 chipset.

Last edited:
TranceBear said:

As I stated above, some, not all will not support dual-channel.

TranceBear said:
As I stated above, some, not all will not support dual-channel.

Correct, not all, namely most anything without an Nforce 2 chipset, but there are several that will.

Best be is to download the manual and specs and check it out.

TranceBear said:

it sounds like you are stating it highly unlikely ...at least thats what i got from it ..

Back