• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Figuring out what my PSU is.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vipersfate

For some reason, I cannot see the Wattage of my PSU. I have no clue where it is located. I look at the visible stickers and I cannot find the rating anywhere. Is there a way to find out what it is?

My computer has it's stock PSU

Gateway MIDWAY 4100 Built to Order (BTO). If anyone has a way for me to find out, I would be greatly happy! Thanks!

EDIT: Ok I couldn't see in the dark with the laser from an optical mouse, so I found a flashlight and looked. I have a 240W Power supply. Is that enough for:

PNY Verto GeForce 6600GT
80GB Maxtor Master
40GB Seagate Slave
2 80mm fans
1 Hard Drive cooler (Dual fan, 3k RPM each)
1 3.5" Floppy
And of course, all 8 USB ports are being used.

Am I starving my computer of power? Thanks in advance :D

Do you have the individual amperage output on the rails? if so, you can calculate it by that, though it is also somewhat dependent on whether they are being truthful or not.

Vipersfate said:
I have a 240W Power supply. Is that enough for:

PNY Verto GeForce 6600GT
80GB Maxtor Master
40GB Seagate Slave
2 80mm fans
1 Hard Drive cooler (Dual fan, 3k RPM each)
1 3.5" Floppy
And of course, all 8 USB ports are being used.
I don't know. Does it work? That's how you tell. In the end the whole idea is to get a power supply that successfully runs your equipment, numbers be damned. If you can't tell from your perspective if it's enough there no chance I can tell, as you've got all the proof in front of you--and I don't.

That is true. But I've heard a few people say if you supply your computer with "ample" power, hardware will run as it should :D But that's why I'm posting on here. I want to know if that's right.

i stuck a 6600gt in my nephews dell p4 i cant recal what deminsion
it was a cheap one yet had agp his either had a 240 or a 260
and it ran fine we added a dvd burner
so he has 2 dvd drives (one burner other req player that came with)
1 hd 60 gig 7200 dunt remimber brand
1 80 mm
1 smaller in front nvr took out to see size prolly around 40
zboard and a trackball on usb

is a xfx and said needs 350+ psu yet we put it in to run it cause he dint know he would need a bigger psu whenhe got it and the psu we bought later wouldnt go in his case said screw it and put it in anyways and it all runs fine
underpowered? i dunno yet the fan turns and it boots plays whatever game he wants maby on lower specs
when he saves the money for a new tower ( he doesnt like any i have laying around :) ) he will use the new psu till then it all seems fine

Back