• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comp performance issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jzmagic

Registered
Ok, so i recently started messing around with my virtual memory settings, trying 1024 min n max and then setting it back to 2048. since then, i noticed much more stuttering when running games, although it did stutter a little before. i defragged my HD, ran spyware programs, and did nearly everything possible to try to fix this problem but nothings worked. any help would be appreciated

jzmagic said:
Ok, so i recently started messing around with my virtual memory settings, trying 1024 min n max and then setting it back to 2048. since then, i noticed much more stuttering when running games, although it did stutter a little before. i defragged my HD, ran spyware programs, and did nearly everything possible to try to fix this problem but nothings worked. any help would be appreciated
2048 man/min should be way good. What drive is your paging file on?

back in the day when i was using maxtor drives... i only got stutters and glitches when my HD was dieing a slow death. Until one day, during a frag session on Quake 3... it finally gave out.

Maybe run chkdsk.

Maybe set it back to letting windows manage the page file. In WinXP you dont really get any performance edge with setting the pagefile to any certain setting. Generally all that happens is stuttering and windows having a fit. Windows wills till manage it anyways, even if you do set it yourself, it just doesnt do it as efficiently.

hmm, im gonna try reformatting my HD tomorow. i also noticed that when i alt tab from a game like WoW, there would be a momentary 1 second freeze where the mouse wouldnt move and stuff. I never had this before until recently, is that also a harddrive problem?

When I play C&C Generals I like get a 1 sec pause then it goes away while playing my Virual Memory is set too 750min - 1000max don't know it's that's good for 1gb memory installed.

When does the system use Virual Memory I thought when I bought my 1gb and installed it. It wouldn't use that as much but games would use my main memory only. I don't get how virutal memory works to be honest never quit understood it.

Back