• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

finally have my partts !!!!! woooo. but still need some help with this phase stuff

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

3vil_l337

Registered
finally have my partts !!!!! woooo. but still need some help with this phase stuff

OK here's the deal. got some parts out a a machine tool air conditioner. out of it i got a ~3/4hp compressor. (its rated for 40-130 oC?) and two rather nice condenser/evaps. it also has a filter(old but with little use) a accumulator and also a bypass valve . but not sure what its for. ill get some pics tomorrow. basically i want to cool my CPU AND my GPU/ Video RAM.

the thing is good for 6000-7000 BtuHrs and it was filled with r500 however it all leaked out when the capillary tube broke(long long ago)

so i must ask. am i on the right track with stuff? and for some reason i can never remember the order stuff is put in, i always get it backwards.

anywho the old thing had a mere 23oz of refrigerant. so I'm curious as to howmuch a refill of some refrigerant rated for -40-20 oC would cost.

well thank you greatly to anyone who can help me out on anything.
3vil

FYI - You will need to get new oil for the compressor as well, as the old stuff has been contaminated by the air.

Not sure on the refrigerant prices.

OH hey hey, thank you for reminding me about the oil. :) minreal oil is what you put in to it right? oh and um how do i clean out the old stuff????? anywho thank you and anyone else got any help for little old me?

I thought I saw you post about this on XS.. hmm maybe Im lost.. :/

wich oil you need to use depends on what refigerant your going to be useing.. so whoever helps you out with that would need to know what refegerant you will be using..
HTH

do you know someone that can buy refegerants? or can you?

Study and take EPA certification. It's quite easy in US and cheap. Once you get the license #, you can buy gas from e-bay. R402a is good choice for single stage. If on budget r-507 will do VERY nice too. If on more budget than R404a does nice too... we are talking maybe few degree off to be honest :p
Oil depends on refrigerant as said but PoE seems to work with just about anything you throw at it and all 3 above I mentioned works with it.
You see you buy refrigerants by lbs (above mentioned usually selling in over 20lbs bottles). Unless you know someone who is willing to sell in small quantity or charge your system... well... you are pretty much stuck buying the "bulk" size. (real bulk goes by much heavier tanks though lol).
Do you have nitrogen to purge and vacuum to evac the system? That should really come first before worrying about other things in components.

Could you give some more details about the certification please? Is there a minimum age requirement? Where can one find study materials?

well im not so sure about the cerficatin, but ill google it and look around. and well.

as for other gasses i have them coming out my ears. i can get anything from a welding supply store. i have an unlimted supply of 2k psi nitrgen and way to much co2 (might set up dry ice for benching)

i also have an entire machen and welding shop at my finger tips. oxy/actline brazing setup and also just about anything i need within 48 hours. :)

mostly need to know how to clean out the old oil in this stuff. and double check to make sure i got this stuff in the right order.

and if i have two eveaps, can i get two valves to auto balance them and have it dump extra liqued(at idle) into an acumlator? or some other setup similer? im pretty sure each evap will be sucking up 200watts EACH or alittle less on one.

as for refrgent, ill probley get my linsces or ill get ahold of a hvac guy if i can. wont have to buy all the gear at first. and getting the oil isnt as importent as cleaning out the old :) cause it probley uber yucky

also were can i get some of that flexy stainless steal line? not brazed up or anything. and also, any reason that i cant use 3/8 and 1/2 stainless steal hard line to plumb alot of this? i have GOBs and PILES of the stuff laying around. and i can get fittings good for 2-3k psi :)))

well thank you all for your help. and also i did post this on XS as Saber63, i think i have 2 accounts on this sight as well (dont tell anyone, forget my user name awhile ago, but rembered it later, dont use it though)

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooo thank you all for your help. and if anyone can give me a hand please do ill keep you guys up to date on how stuff is going. take it easy, later
3vil

p.s. damn i talk alot :)

http://www.epatest.com/

you have to get type 2 and 3 of the 608 by proctor (localy).. you can take the core and type 1 online openbook..

Im not sure were to get the study materials for type 2 and 3 though..

jinu117.. any info. would be great.. do you know were you can download the study materials? are they on the EPA website somewere? thanks in advance.. :D

Last edited:
wooo got the cad stuff done here are the pics of the blocks. the way it works is the Gpu fron and back, will be one each side of the card, the smaller one is to cool the ram on it. i know alittle crazy but i just dont care :)
oh screw it ill jsut link to the pics on XS

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43716&d=1140386086

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43717&d=1140386086

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43719&d=1140386158

3vil

p.s only linking cause OCF wont let me post the pics, there to big

greenmaji said:
http://www.epatest.com/

you have to get type 2 and 3 of the 608 by proctor (localy).. you can take the core and type 1 online openbook..

Im not sure were to get the study materials for type 2 and 3 though..

jinu117.. any info. would be great.. do you know were you can download the study materials? are they on the EPA website somewere? thanks in advance.. :D

ahaha the material is right on link you handed out.. :)

just got the copper today, totled ~$222. will start machening the blocks tomorow, hopefully have them brazed and pressuer tested by the end of the week. just need a place to find capillary tubing, and i also need to pick up some A/C clearer from the auto parts store, and finally pick a refrgent, annd il be good to go! well ill have picks of the finshed products asap
later
3vil

3vil_l337 said:
just got the copper today, totled ~$222. will start machening the blocks tomorow, hopefully have them brazed and pressuer tested by the end of the week. just need a place to find capillary tubing, and i also need to pick up some A/C clearer from the auto parts store, and finally pick a refrgent, annd il be good to go! well ill have picks of the finshed products asap
later
3vil

Local refrigeration store or chilly1 or under-the-ice.com or... if they can't be reached (I doubt it) you could ask me. Under-the-ice.com might be closest to you other than local shop :)

Back