• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swapping LEDs in fans ... will they still work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerlAddict

Hey guys,

I've been wanting to buy some 120mm 4-LED fans (Probably the Thermaltake Thunderblade, as they've got some of the most CFMs per dB that I've run across in a 120mm 4-LED fan, unless anyone has some better suggestions) and swap out the blue LEDs for orange ones.

IIRC, different colored LEDs have some different power requirements, and before I did this, I just wanted to check and see if anyone knew of any problems swapping out an orange LED for a blue one might have.

Also, does anybody have a good source for orange LEDs? I'll probably need about 50 of them. I've seen some guys on eBay selling sets of 100 for under $15, but they're all from Hong Kong and I don't like buying straight outta there.

The Hong Kong sellers are completley safe. After payment, LED's usually arrive within a week or two for me. A bit of a wait if I really need them, but welll worth it being how cheap they are.

for replacing the LED's in your fan, if the fan already has current limiting resistors in place, it should just be a simple swap-out swap-in job, much like changing case LED's

Cool. I figured everything would be fairly easy. I know they may be a little brighter or dimmer, but I wanted to make sure they would actually light at all. Cellphones a probably a bit touchier about that then computer fans, though, since there's a lot less power being worked with.

When swapping out the LEDs, how do I know which wire goes to which on the fan? I'd hate to stick them in only to find out the current is running the wrong way through them and they won't light.

Last thing - is 5mm the normal LED size? Wasn't sure if most fans use 3mm or 5mm, as I see both mentioned quite a sites that sell them.

the LED will have a flat spot on the side, just put the new one in with the flat on the same side and you should be fine. unless they're a little surface mount one, i dunno the situation there.

PerlAddict said:
Cool. I figured everything would be fairly easy. I know they may be a little brighter or dimmer, but I wanted to make sure they would actually light at all. Cellphones a probably a bit touchier about that then computer fans, though, since there's a lot less power being worked with.

When swapping out the LEDs, how do I know which wire goes to which on the fan? I'd hate to stick them in only to find out the current is running the wrong way through them and they won't light.

Last thing - is 5mm the normal LED size? Wasn't sure if most fans use 3mm or 5mm, as I see both mentioned quite a sites that sell them.

3mm and 5mm are both standard sizes. my 80mm fans use 3mm (as do most other 80mm fans. Not sure if 120mm fans king-size it to 5mm :D

you can go to some company websites and ask for some samples if you want.
heres a couple places that offer free samples.
http://www.sunled.com
http://www.marktechopto.com

Im sure these companies wouldnet mind sampleing a few leds to you. They should be fine with 5-10 for a quantity. I have sampled form both companies it might take a bit longer to get them instead of ordering but there free and you dont need to pay shipping either.

Heh, the Tt A1926... I had three of these and yes the LEDs need changing as they are greenish-blue instead of what the picture looks like. Also, their dB readings are insanely innacurate. Louder than the 120MM Unincom fans I have now.

I think they use 3mm LEDs, but beware that they attach to a circuit strip instead of being wired together like other LED fans are. Might make swaping them a bit more of a challenge.

Thanks for the info, NME (et al). I think I may just go with the Cooler Master or Akasa's then. Cooler Master's 80mm fan's LEDs are extremely easy to get to and rewire, so that may be the best choice.

And thanks for those sites, Skeith. I'll definitely send them a request!

Here is an excellent place to get fans super cheap. Lower prices and they typically have a very good selection. But I think most 120mm LEDs will have the circuit strip instead of the wires found on CoolerMaster 80mms. Looking at the 120mms I have, it looks like there is a spot where the strip can be cut, so LED replacement might not be so hard after all...

I'd definately recommend 120mms as they can put out some serious air.

Back