• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Warranty Procedure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Indyxc1

I searched for this so if it's obvious from another thread, please delete this.

My question is, with the AMD warranty on a retail CPU, how exactly does it work?

Do you need the original receipt to warranty the CPU? Does it have to be from an official retailer? Do you just give them the serial number on the chip, and if it's in the database it has a warranty?

Because I bought a CPU on ebay, and it's sealed, but I'm not sure how the warranty works.

Likewise, I just sold the cpu, and the guy was asking me, and I didn't want to give him false information.

Thanks
Indyxc

I think you should take a look at this link.

This is shown in there.

How to Obtain Warranty Service
To obtain warranty service for your AMD Processor in a Box, contact your computer system manufacturer or distributor during the systems warranty period. After your computer system warranty has expired, you should contact AMD at (408) 749-3060 in the U.S. only, [email protected] in Asia, and 44 (0) 1276-803187 in Europe. Please be prepared to provide: (1) your name, address, and telephone numbers; (2) proof of purchase; (3) a description of the type of boxed processor; (4) a description of the computer system including the brand and model; and (5) an explanation of the problem. The Technical Service Center Representative may need additional information from you depending on the nature of the problem.

Apparently, they do want proof of purchase. I will say you can contact them and said if you don't have the receipt, what can you do. I think the purpose of the receipt is to show the starting time of the warranty.

Yeah I saw something to that extent somewhere else. Thanks for looking it up.

From what it seems in posts, people just register on AMD, and then specify the RMA, and never mentioned the receipt.

Anyone here gone through the procedure?

i will suggest contacting them directly. I think there should not be any problems. For example, monarchcomputer's database is not as good as newegg's. I bought my vid card with them last year, and they didn't show in their database. In fact, they could not even find my account. Luckily, i still have the packaging slip.

I have, they just ask where you bought it from. I didn't need a recepit.
I would just call them up. Thats what I did, it only takes 5 mins.

I called and asked them, and the lady wasn't too clear.

She said if you purchase it from another user like on "ebay" sealed it doesn't include the three year warranty. I then asked her how they would verify that, and she said that during the online RMA process it asks to "attach" the original receipt. :shrug:

Maybe it's changed? But like Romulex said it probably I'm guessing if you just say where you got it from, then it qualifies.

Reason I ask if I bought a sealed FX-60 off of ebay, for ~150 less than retail, so I'm trying to figure out if that means no warranty.

Back