• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problem.... is my video card failing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh547

I started playing bf2 again. two days ago when i played my computer restarted after about an hour... i realy didnt think it was a big deal but then today first the computer restarted after about 20 mins, i got back in no sooner loaded a game and spawned when the screen turned blue (bsod blue) with no words. i restarted the computer ate dinner and came back to play. i played about an hour and the computer freezed after a game was over... any ideas? i thought the gpu was crashing but i have vpu recover on and it isnt displaying any messages. nothing is over clocked right now. and ate the crashes my cooldrive6 shows ~41c at the videocard and ~34c at the processor

I'm leaning toward a memory problem (since they're usually the cause of blue screens). Run Memtest86+ (google for download) and make sure there are no errors after a few hours. If BF2 crashes in 20 minutes-1 hour, Memtest should catch any errors within that time as well, assuming the problem is the memory.

i had a bsod problem a two weeks ago that i thought was a mem problem also but i ran mem test for 12 hours + with no errors. it turned out to be a loose sata cable...

i am thinking about reinstalling bf2 and maybe the chipset drivers?

Several weeks ago, I had a very similar problem with my video card (AGP 6800GT). But my card did not do what you are talking about, where it gives the bsod after an hour, or 20 minutes or whatever...it just died right before my eyes. I was playing Star Wars Battlefront 2, and at the time had been playing for maybe an hour or so, and the screen just turned into hundreds of green/blue pixelated rectangles. No warning, no apparent problems with the card itself or the game, nothing at all. One minute I'm playing a really intense firefight, and the next I'm looking at a lot of crap on my monitor.

I tried rebooting my rig, and for a while it seemed to help for a few minutes, but then the desktop would turn into garbage with the cursor just a big white square. I shut it down for a while, because I thought the card overheated. I went back later, and I wouldn't get past the Windows welcome screen before getting garbage again. Next day, same thing happened. So my rig became more or less unusable.

I have since RMA'd the card to Newegg, for which I have received my refund because they didn't have anything comparable to replace it with. Which is okay because the refund enabled me to buy more parts for my new build, which will include a 7800GT PCI-e.

well i reinstalled bf2, uninstalled ati tray tools, updated the driver and turned vpu recover back on. now that keep popping up saying that the vpu was not responding. any ideas? i emailed sapphire because the card is less than 6 months old.

Back