• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wow my CPU keeps eating up PSU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lee_Kay

I calculated at 4.24ghz my cpu ALONE is demanding 225+ watts of power. This sucks everything plus some from one rail. Forget about the the power the motherboard needs for the I/O operations. Its hard to find a psu under $300 able to cope with such a demand. And still give me any future upgrade path.

my ocz powerstream 520 kept up with my presler at 4.0. however, i have a seperate psu for my fans and watercooling. only running the mb, cpu, two hd's and two cd drives on the OCZ.

225w is damn insane, I'm looking at my prescott pulling 110w and think it's high. Intel better get their act together, they should have fixed this little problem a long time ago. I suppose making fun of the Flaming AMD T-Birds a while back is biting us right back in the butt, Then again I did own one.....

300 dollars? My lord for that I could buy a server grade unit. How about 130 dollars? An OCZ 520 will handle what you are demanding from it easily. If it werew on sale, you can get it for 90-110 dollars. I've seen specials on them in the past for that.

A PC P&C 510 is also cheaper than that unless you fo with the modded version from Performance PC's. There are lots of PSU's you could run for less than 300 dollars that work very well.

It's nopt the proiblem people think it is. You don't get something for nothing. It's either gonna take voltage or amperage, but either way it's gonna take wattage. Volts x amps = watts is why. Most of these CPU's are going to low voltage and high amperage. Intel is not the only one going to this either. AM2 also looks to be going this direction.

These things run on electricity. The more you crank them up, the more amperage they require. That's not an "issue that needds fixing", it's a theory of electricty. Can that be wittled away at? Yep, like everything else, but you don't get 4-5GHz performance for free. It takes electricity to do that.

3DFlyer said:
Yep, like everything else, but you don't get 4-5GHz performance for free. It takes electricity to do that.

A funny way you can look at this is a processor has the ability to turn on or off half a billion transistors over 4 billion times a second. It's almost too easy to say billion and not comprehend it. For example if you had one billion pennies it would weigh 3,125 tonns and be stacked to 987 miles high, in one billion seconds it would be 31.7 years later, one billion minutes you'd be in the hight of the Roman Empire, one billion cenimeters would get you from Chicago to Tokyo.

its great is I only had 1 waterpump, 2 hard drives motherboard and kept my video card 2 a 2d enviroment.

MikeyLikesItSI said:
I've never heard of this before.... is there any proof or statistics or anything that proves that?

As far I know, Hertz being applied to a processor means the frequency at which switch's internally can be turned on or off. At a Frequency of 4Ghz the processor can turn on or off any given transistor at a rate up to 4 billion times a second.

Lee_Kay said:
its great is I only had 1 waterpump, 2 hard drives motherboard and kept my video card 2 a 2d enviroment.

Etasis, Zippy, and Silverstone come to mind. I saw your system specs, and it shouldn't be enough to tax a 33 amp unit. Guys have run dual cores past 5GHz on the OCZ 520's and benched.

If the PSU really pumps out it's advertised wattage (few do) and thewir wattage is not rated for peak load then a good 500-600 watt unit with greater than 30 amps should be sufficient.

The OCZ's specs are 33a on the 12+ rail, anf they are rated for 520 continuous, and 620 burst. They run more like a 600 att unit though. Definitely avoid the dual rail 600 for this application. The 520 Sli, the PC P&C 510 (or the 850 or 1000 if you have very deep pockets), or one of the Etasis, Zippy, or Silverstones high powered units will definitely work.

Mr. $T$ said:
As far I know, Hertz being applied to a processor means the frequency at which switch's internally can be turned on or off. At a Frequency of 4Ghz the processor can turn on or off any given transistor at a rate up to 4 billion times a second.

Yes, hertz is a frequency of switching rate or the "side to side" of a wave measured from the index if you wanna get technical, or how tightly "packed" those waves are compressed through a measure of time. :)

Edited: Here is the defintion of Hertz that I saved from somewhere. Don't know where, but it came from somwhere back a long time ago when I had to get recertified.

hertz

1. Indicates the frequency (number of cycles per second) of alternating current such as ringing voltage or Touch Tone signals. Abbreviated hz. Often seen as a measure of speed of CPUs, such as 500 mhz.

Last edited:
get a 520w ocz
my 4.4 ghz presler has np's nor did my 830 @ 4.1 when i had it either
i ran a pump, 6x fans, 2x opticals, 2x hd's with no issues :)
and if it does somehow fry ocz will replace it hassel free !~

Mr. $T$ said:

To be more technical, it's the speed at which data can be accurately clocked from one pipeline stage to the next. The actual pipeline stages could be anywhere from 10 to 30 gates deep though. That means the individual transistors will have to be able to switch on the order of 10-20 picoseconds (50 to 100 GHz).

Back to the original topic, how did you calculate 225W? That's probably about right, but I'm still curious what led you to that number.

planoser said:
anybody know of current deals on the OCZ? post up where to get the best price on it if ya know, thx :beer:

You might wanna ask this in the PSU forum. More people will see it, and more people that have recently bought one will be able to reply to you. I own an OCZ520, but haven't looked at prices lately. I have seen deals in the PSU section at different times anywhere from 90-110 dollars US though. Normal price is 130. Even at that normal street price they are a deal.

Back