• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3 "might" not be released this year

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
rolla94 said:
omg.. 900 for each system.. if PS3 doesn't come out till next year xbox will already drop their price and ps3 wont sale at all.
That's a good point By holiday next year, 360's will be widely avalible and at a price advantage. Great online and Match/Simular preformance, which would you get :/

Wait you work for MS and you know what Sony has coming up but your going to buy it whether its a killer system or not? Im confused....

Actually I feel better knowing they are taking their time for it, usually that makes for a better product. Although I'm not on good terms with Sony right now, I'm still ****ed because of the CD media rootkit deal...hence the sig :p.

Also, the high prices to produce a unit are not unheard of, most game companies lose money at fist, the original XBox was that way. I forget where I read it, but Microsoft didn't make any profit off the Xbox until well over a year later. Plus most companies make $$$ off the extra's like controllers, memory cards games, etc...not the console itself.

cornbread said:
Actually I feel better knowing they are taking their time for it, usually that makes for a better product. Although I'm not on good terms with Sony right now, I'm still ****ed because of the CD media rootkit deal...hence the sig :p.

Also, the high prices to produce a unit are not unheard of, most game companies lose money at fist, the original XBox was that way. I forget where I read it, but Microsoft didn't make any profit off the Xbox until well over a year later. Plus most companies make $$$ off the extra's like controllers, memory cards games, etc...not the console itself.

yes, you are correct. These new systems actually cause the company's to LOSE money.

Just because it costs 900 bucks to make, doesn't mean they will sell it for 900 dollars. They WILL drop the price to purchase it. and eat the losses.

but the company's make a ton of money on memory cards, controllers, and especially video games.

With this delay, they could do a smart move. Release the system a good 3-4 months before christmas season. And then have new games released durring christmas shopping season.

A person looks at a system and see's a 400 dollar price tag. and they say screw that.

But, they will easily spend 400 dollars in video games, controllers and accessories. people will easily spend a ton of money on a lot of little things, but are leary of spending alot on one thing.

that will help fill in the profits they lost when making the system.

but that would depend on if they game company's can get the games pushed out or not.

IR1 said:
Wait you work for MS and you know what Sony has coming up but your going to buy it whether its a killer system or not? Im confused....

no, think of it as 3 sentences not properly done lol..

ill buy a sony nomatter what anyways...

ive been working for microsoft for the past few months and i know whats coming up...

if sony comes out with a killer system... its gonna be worth it.

While console makers do expect to lose money on the main hardware early in the product cycle, they don't usually expect to lose anywhere NEAR $500 a machine. (Remember, retail stores get a cut, shipping...) Wow. I don't know if that "estimate" of $900 is accurate...might be off. Usually around a $100 loss is more normal. Sell three games and a controller and things are close to square. I had been noticing all along that MS seemed to be making more cost effective choices in their system design...and even their system is costly. Sony may have shot themselves in the foot.

Also, if people are thinking, "Well, they're making a higher quality system that will have better games. They can charge $700 if they need to." If a system is too expensive --> it won't be mainstream --> so it will have a small install base --> so developers will make little money making a game for the system --> so they simply won't make games for that system --> so teh games suck.

I agree with John....companies take loses on the console but if $900 is right...Sony isn't going to take a big enough of a hit needed to be compedative. I think the first xbox was taking $100 loses and that was a big deal when they did that. If M$ was smart they would use this time to get some RPG's on their line up, that is where they lacked in the past....and this time around they have deals with Squinex's sister company...so get those released and prove you can do RPG....most playstation fanatics are that way because they are RPG fans....M$ could steal Sony's base if they played it smart. Also push the online play....Sony still won't have an online service so push that get some MMO's out. Action fans are no problem for the box to keep because they have that base from last time...plus every action fan is just waiting for Halo3 so concentrate on rounding off your games portfolio. Sony can take their rootkits and blu-ray and go home. Not that I'm a big M$ fan....but I doubt Nintendo is gonna come out of nowhere and dominate the market with the revolution....but that would be pretty sweet if they did.

Fr3@k3r said:

ive been working for microsoft for the past few months and i know whats coming up...

You know whats coming up? What's that supposed to mean? blah blah blah I bet you can't say. :rolleyes:

John G said:
While console makers do expect to lose money on the main hardware early in the product cycle, they don't usually expect to lose anywhere NEAR $500 a machine. (Remember, retail stores get a cut, shipping...) Wow. I don't know if that "estimate" of $900 is accurate...might be off. Usually around a $100 loss is more normal. Sell three games and a controller and things are close to square. I had been noticing all along that MS seemed to be making more cost effective choices in their system design...and even their system is costly. Sony may have shot themselves in the foot.

Also, if people are thinking, "Well, they're making a higher quality system that will have better games. They can charge $700 if they need to." If a system is too expensive --> it won't be mainstream --> so it will have a small install base --> so developers will make little money making a game for the system --> so they simply won't make games for that system --> so teh games suck.

Yeah, no console has ever cost $900 to make and suceeded (maybe Neo Geo or something odd could have) and I am doubting PS3 does. Still to say it would be okay because companies lose money on consoles is insane. No company has ever taken anywhere close to a $500 hit on their hardware. What the heck could cost so much anyway? Scrap the crappy Blu-ray for now if its a problem, its fairly useless for anything but HD movies anyway.

Who knows though, mabe this is true and is one of many cracks in the Sony hype machine, which never delivers as promised.

I'll take a wait and see stance on this one.

Fr3@k3r said:

Wow Ok....? :shrug:

KfistoRok said:
You know whats coming up? What's that supposed to mean? blah blah blah I bet you can't say. :rolleyes:

It's encrypted, as soon as he releases the information he breaks his contract and a large group of MS Lawyers swoop down from a black helicopter to his house lmao. :D

so very true you know they are spying on everyone of us workers waiting for us to slip up so they can come steal out brains

Well, we all do know where Bill gates gets his money, black market organ selling!

On a less disturbing note, The PS3 will be less, as cell proccesing will unevitably drop OEM prices. I hope.

MrGreen said:
On a less disturbing note, The PS3 will be less, as cell proccesing will unevitably drop OEM prices. I hope.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean....but as far as I know, the Cell based CPU in the PS3 takes up about the same amount of silicon real estate as the Xbox 360 3 core PowerPC chip, for example. Making them with the same manufacturing process (both are IBM chips) should cost about the same. The big difference is Research & Development costs. MS basically took an off the shelf architecture, had IBM make minor modifications, slapped 3 cores on one die, and called it good. Minimal R&D costs for IBM to pass on to MS in chip prices. Sony on the other hand, went with a radically new architecture from the ground up. R&D costs are likely massive...which IBM will build into the initial supply contracts for the chips. As the years roll on, these R&D costs will fade for both and manufacturing costs will drive the price. So, in the first 1-2 years, Sony will likely be paying much more than MS, but in 3-4 years they will probably be paying real close to the same price.

Back