• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FTP Server Set Up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scann69

Not too sure if this is a stupid question or if it's been asked before (Did a search but nothing relevant) but if i have a computer running at home 24/7 can i configure that server to be FTP server where i can upload or downloading things i need from my home server?

If Yes. how do i go about configuring it? It's running Windows Server 2003 Standard

If No. Why? I just want to understand this a little better.

Thanx for your time.

Code:
FileZilla is a totally free FTP server. FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol, and is the most poplular method for uploading files remotely to a web server. You can visit FileZilla's SourceForge project page here. As with BigApache, you probably don't need to follow each step, since it is really easy to install, but here's the step-by-step instructions for those that need it.

Download FileZilla FTP Server v.0.9.4b

Installing FileZilla Server:

1. Download and double click on FileZilla_Server_0_9_4d.exe to begin installation.
   2. If you agree with the license agreement, click the I Agree button.
   3. Click the Next button to accept the Standard install type.
   4. Click the Next button to accept the default install directory.
   5. Click the Install button to install the default startup settings.
   6. Once setup has finished, it should say "Completed". You can click the Close button to exit the installation utility.
   7. To start FileZilla, double click on the FZ icon in the notification area of your taskbar.
   8. When FileZilla starts for the first time, it will display the Connect to Server dialog box. Leave the settings how they are (Server Address: 127.0.0.1, Port: 14147, Server Password: [Blank]), but place a checkmark next to "Always connect to this server". Click the Ok button to connect. If everything worked correctly, it should say "Logged on".

Configuring Users:

Adding users is as simple as clicking on the Edit menu, and selecting Users. Under Users, you will see an Add button. Click it, type in a username, and click ok. You can enable a password by placing a check next to Password, and then typing a password.

Configuring Directory Access:

To set a users directory access, click on Shared Folders page, and select the user from the list that you want to edit. Under Shared Folders, click the Add button. Choose a directory you wish to assign to that user (example: C:\BigApache\Apache\htdocs\username\).

Configuring Privileges:

You can give certain users or groups certain levels of access. Simply select a user that you wish to assign privileges to, and place a check next to the privilege you want that user to have.

ACCESS TYPES:

* READ means that user can read/open files.
    * WRITE means they can upload files.
    * DELETE means that user can delete files.
    * APPEND means users can append to uploads, and its also needed for resuming/pausing uploads if their client supports it.
    * CREATE means the user can create directories.
    * DELETE means the user can remove directories.
    * LIST means the user can get a listing of directories and files (this is required to avoid getting a 550 Error)
    * +SUBDIRS means the user can access subdirectories with the same priviledges that you made above. 

Configuring Anonymous Account:
An anonymous account is required for many browsers (such as FireFox) to be able to access and display the contents of a directory (in much the same way HTTP does in browsers). First you need to create an account named "anonymous" (with no password). Second, you will need to give that user access to a directory (example: C:\BigApache\Apache\htdocs\). Third, you will need to give that user READ and LIST privileges. If you want to let the user navigate through subdirectories, also give the user +SUBDIR access. Once your finished, you can type [url]ftp://yoursite.no-ip.com[/url] and you will be able to display, via FTP, the directory contents.

From here http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=272080.
Hope it helps.

If you are running windows 2003, you will need to configure IIS, so as to set up the FTP server. There should be a folder in the root of c: that is called "wwwroot". This folder has permissions already set up on it for outside access, however I would recommend creating a new folder for your ftp site that is seperate and non-standard.

Create an OU for the FTP users
create users and place them in the OU
Assign the OU to the folder you created
Assign the appropriate permissions on the new folder you created for the site
Point the FTP home folder in the IIS setup to the new folder you have created.
Open any firewalls needed to allow access

Info: Check out support.microsoft.com for any help, as well as windowsnetworking.com

Thanx for the link and info. It should keep me busy for a week :beer: I maybe using Window 2003 Server but i'm totally bad at it. Just trying it out. Thanx again guys.

Would you know a link where they show step by step on how to configure Windows 2003 Server for Remote Desktop without 3rd party software. I tried but screwed up my configurations. Still don't know why.

AMD Phreak said:

Yah. Got that site before. Tried but it did not work :bang head Anyway, i just formatted my system last nite and installed Win2003 again cos i don't know how but i managed to crash the windows to the extend it could not boot into Windows :eh?: I'll give it another try tonite. Thanx again for your help.

I would second the reccomendation for FileZilla, the server client is easy to set up and quite intuitive.

Thanx. Will give it a try. I'm trying to do it without 3rd party software. Which i might say is making frastrated :bang head

Back