• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O/Ced Opteron 144 and a Major BF2 issue....Please Help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4432

ok let me start out by explaining my newest rig -
AMD Opteron 144 CAB2E 0545 MPMW @ 2.5GHz Stock V Prime95 Stable
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 (NF3 250Gb)
1GB OCZ PC-3200
ATI X800XTPE (AGP)
18GB 15K SCSI
36GB 10K SCSI
80GB 7.2K
Antec 480W PSU

with the settings i use in bf2 i use ~980MB total peak computer ram usage, so i am not hitting the pagefile.

here is the situation -
i would get massive lag in bf2 to the point where i would just be mechanic and wrench all game. this was totally unacceptable. when i would join in on a server i would have a ping of less than 50ms, but soon i would be hitting 300-800ms, which is horrible as i have a 6Mb/s down / 512Kb/s up cable connection. at first i was 99% sure it was my isp and did many ping plot tests and had my isp look over the network as i called them probably 30x over the last 3wks. and the problem also *****ed me off because i knew my rig should be performing just as good if not better than my 2.8C P4 rig with the same components.

my o/c was prime stable for 12+hours in all the tests, i could loop 3dmark01, 03 and 05 all day or night. the machine is extremely stable. my agp bus was listed at 66MHz and my pci bus was 33MHz, all exactly how they should be. i tried onboard and 3com nics. i switched all of my lan equipment out and even connected my machine directly to my cable modem to see if that was the problem, all with the same result of the ping going through the roof and making online gaming unplayable. i even used fraps and found the gameplay to never go under 30fps, but i would just be lost for long periods of time, like i would turn and then about 1/2 sec later my guy on the screen would turn, etc. also just to rule my settings out, i tried it at 800x600 with everything either on low or off and had the same issues.

after bitching for nearly a month and about to give up a friend of mine found this on tweakguides -
Overclocking: Battlefield 2 is sensitive to overclocking. If you've overclocked any components on your system and are having problems such as crashes, reboots and graphical anomalies, the first thing to do is set everything back to default speeds and try running the game. If you don't experience the same problems at default speed, or they're reduced in severity, then your overclock is the primary culprit. Either permanently reduce your overclock and/or increase cooling to regain stability. Don't assume that because other games run with stability at a particular speed that BF2 will do the same.

so i figured, what the hell, i will put it all back to stock and try this out. low and behold i did and the lag issues went away. i quickly tested the network and ping plot and got the same results as before.

which brings me to this forum - why/how would this happen? i can't understand how a perfectly stable machine can't run bf2 o/ced. my temps are good with the 2.5GHz o/c, gpu temps are good, i have good air circulation in the case, etc. i have covered everything i know of but still had this issue of making the game unplayable.

any ideas??

my o/c setting were:
3xHT
280HTT
my ram was running at 210MHz with an extra .1V
stock 9x multiplier

thanks in advance for your time and expertise,
bob

the ram was upped .1V and the cpu was left at stock as i wanted to leave it on auto so it could throttle down when not in use. i left it at stock V since it was prime stable for so long....

Well if you are looking for solutions try upping the voltages and even try a tad loser timing on the ram..Although u are running a divider so timings should not be a major issue..why the divider by the way ?

the divider is because i have ocz peformance that doesn't do over 215MHz even with a lot of V

thanks, i will try to up the V. just out of curiosity why wouldn't it fail in prime95 but has these issues with bf2?

Back