• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS not recongizing new hdd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rayik

This has got me stumped. Older pc used as media server.

Motherboard is abit st6 (non raid). Existing set up:
Hitatchi 160 gb hdd - primary IDE master (jumper is cable select)
Generic CD burner - secondary IDE master

Want to add maxxtor 200 gb hdd on primary IDE slave (jumper is cable select).

Should be real easy. Can't get the mb to recognize a 2nd hdd. MB will only recognize one hdd as master. The drive can be either the hitachi or maxxtor. But mb just will not recognize a 2nd hdd.

Tried:

(1) primary IDE with CS on both hdds
(2) primary IDE setting jumpers for master / slave (and in both combinations - first on hdd as master and then 2nd hdd as mater)
(3) secondary IDE with CS on both hdds
(4) secondary IDE setting jumpers for master / slave (and in both combinations).

Also tried swapping out IDE cable and power connnectors (to make sure good - and they are).

Also cleared CMOS on mb.

Should be real easy to add 2nd hdd. Nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

Have you tried removing the jumper completely from the hitachi and setting the maxtor as slave? Some HDDs have two different jumper setups for single master and master with secondary. Cable select is SUPPOSED to work right with all new 80 pin cables, but I've seen it cause problems. The other thing you could try is putting the second HD on the secondary controller channel, which may work out better anyways.

Last edited:
Thanks Big Mike. Putting the maxxtor hdd by itself on the secondary IDE was the only way I could get bios to see it.

Pulling the jumper out of either drive set it to slave.

Also I goofed on the identity of the existing drive. It was a seagate 160 gb hdd (and not hitachi). Shouldn't matter though.

Weird problem.

Back