• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Controlling Fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JEmlay

I have 6 fans that I want to control externally. I actually have 2 groups of three fans. That is, each set of three fans must run at the same speed. So I have been looking for one of two options:

1. A single pot for three fans. Which would give me two pots. Click-off would be optimal.

2. A single pot (or controlling device) for all six fans.

I could always go this route but it doesn't guarantee that each group will run at the same speed but I could live with that if I had to:

Xoxide

This next solution would be interesting but I would have to cheat. It only has 4 channels but it does control all fans with a single setting. What do you guys think would happen if I put 2 fans on each channel (for 3 channels, not all 4)? Do you think it would hurt the device or just not run the fans at full potential? Not at full potential would be fine as I would never need full force from the fans. It would be really interesting to burry this solution in my clear case and not have to worry about cutting a bay for it.

Thermaltake

Notes:

1. This is not for a PC. Rather an external WC setup.
2. There wont be an USB or data cables running to the PC so no fancy LCD controllers :)
3. Looks aren't too important. Pot's aren't ugly and a PCB inside the clear case wouldn't be too bad.

Putting 3 fans on one channel should be fine as long as the total wattage required across three fans is less than the max that the controller can handle per channel. The XOXIDE controller doesn't list its max per channel so I can't help you with that one.

I think max current is also a limiting factor in the number of fans on one channel as well.

Fans will be 120mm. They are 12Volt and require .24A.

Looking at the Thermaltake which says Max Current per channel is 1A then I could certainly run two fans per channel. I am also assuming the unit will provide a stable 12Volts per channel up to 1A current.

Kewl, I never bothered to look up the amp rating on a fan before. I feel much better about this now.

Thanks!

That handles 1.6A instead of 1A. So I could certainly put three fans on one channel like you said. But then I'm left with 2 extra pots. I guess that doesn't matter.

Thanks!

Well be careful. There is watts and amps that you have to stay under. At least that's how I read the specs. And I know watts and amps are indirectly related (I'm no electrical engineer to know for sure) but I don't think you can be over the max on either.

Here is some free electrical information, Watts = Volts x Amps. Since we know that the voltage is 12 we are all set. All we need to know now is either the watts or the amps, if you stay under either, you will be ok. Since this fan controller can handle 1 amp, we know from the above formula that it will handle 12Watts. Because the watts and amps are proportionate to eachother, as long as you are under the maximum of one of them, you will by definition, be under the maximum of the other.

Last edited:
I guess the thermaltake controller is garbage. Gee, go figure. Even the lowest setting drives a fan harder then the average mainboard. Too many reviewers decided they hated the controller when they bothered to compare the before and after of using it. They also compare that the average pot will allow you to under volt the fans much better then this controller. Although not a single reviewer took voltage measurements?

Back to the drawing board. Something like the sunbeam will have to do. Maybe I can find a three channel one. That leaves me with just one useless pot.

Whats wrong with this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813999504 it has 1.5amps, thats enough to do whatever you want, a 6-1 config, or a 3-2 config.

You gotta understand, just about all fan controllers are made for at least 3 channels, some of them handle as many as 8, but it just isnt worth it to manufacturers to make a panel than only controls two fans. The bottem line: your probibly gonna have an extra pot with whatever route you take. The only ones I have seen that handle two channels aren't powerful enough to handle three of those fans.

Chunkylover763 said:
Whats wrong with this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813999504 it has 1.5amps, thats enough to do whatever you want, a 6-1 config, or a 3-2 config.

You gotta understand, just about all fan controllers are made for at least 3 channels, some of them handle as many as 8, but it just isnt worth it to manufacturers to make a panel than only controls two fans. The bottem line: your probibly gonna have an extra pot with whatever route you take. The only ones I have seen that handle two channels aren't powerful enough to handle three of those fans.

As I stated before, a left over pot would be fine. Two left over pots would be kind of silly. So a three channel controller would be best when going the pre-built method. The other option was to just get two pots and wire it up myself.

archilochus said:

Exactly! That would work. Then I would just need all the other crap to go along with it. I would want a nice looking knob to go with it as well.

Chunkylover763 said:

I do not recommend any of the Vantec 200 series fan controllers. I had one go bad on me after a week of moderate use - definitely didn't overload any of the channels. The replacement lasted a while, but recently I blew two of the four channels. I was running a sanyo denki on two channels, and 2 generic 80mm fans on another channel.

Exactly! That would work. Then I would just need all the other crap to go along with it. I would want a nice looking knob to go with it as well.

http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032274&cp=2032058.2032230

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category/310/Knobs.html

http://www.bit-tech.net/article/56/

http://www.cpemma.co.uk/rheo.html

**Click pic to enlarge**
rheo.bmp

Thanks! Good info. Seems simple enough. So what's with all the fancy circuitry other people come up with?

That's funny. We where taught...keep it simple stupid

I'll need something I can mount through 1/4" acrylic. I'll have to hit up McMaster.

Will regulating a 12 volt cable screw up anything else on that rail?

That's funny. We where taught...keep it simple stupid

I didn't want to take a chance of insulting anyone.. :rolleyes:

I'll need something I can mount through 1/4" acrylic.

Drill a hole and use the supplied washers and nuts! The acrilic will be your insulator.

Dimensions:
1/4" Shaft Diameter
Shaft Length 1"

I'll have to get some leds and attach them to the pot and the case where the pot is. That should make for an interesting (hi/lo) effect.

Back