• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Glaciator I vs. Alpha 8045

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

earthdick

I've had the Glaciator I since it was released. The best I can do with it is 46C load with 23C ambient temp, 29C case temp. I have an overclocked 1.2Ghz T'bird to 1.33 at 1.79v; FK-320 case. I have a Panaflo 120mm fan blowing in, a Sanyo 80mm fan blowing in over the cpu, a Sanyo 80mm fan and the psu fan blowing out. There was some discussion over at the Amdmb.com Iwill mb forums that the Alpha 8045 cools better than the Glaciator I. Any thoughts on whether the Alpha cools better than the Glaciator I? I am happy with the noise of the Glaciator I, and would like to use a fan that is similar in db. I don't think a .02 C/W difference between the Glaciator I and II would make that much of a difference in my temps, IMHO.
Thanks.

I dont think it does, my system temp is 24, and my cpu temp is 36c idle 39c load @1330, at 1530 its 38c idle/43c load. USing AS2 and an 80mm panaflow sucking out back, no intake at all, id ay lapp it and use better themal grease

there is almost no difference there, remember why the glaciator is soo good, because its copper it cools well and its quiet.

Remember that by sticking a delta 38CFM Fan on a aluminium heatsink can make it cool well at the price of noise. The glaciator is quiet and it cools just as well as the Alpha, stick with the Glaciator, or try the new Glaciator II.

It has had some good reveiws it now uses a slightly higher RPM fan which dissipates heat better without a large increase in noise. It has been know to be a bad quality so you may have to lap it if you get one, but try lapping you Glaciator I if you haven't already.

Back