• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with temperatures raising...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strida

Well I've done a triple-evac on my system as recommended, charged the system to 60 psi low and high, started it, added more and more propane, temps dropping each time, then once I couldn't see the temp anymore (went below -50C on my crappy thermometer) I figured it was good enough.

The problem is that once it is on LLL (<-50C) for about 15 minutes, the temperatures very slowly start raising. In 20 minutes the thermometer is just getting back into it's range (-45 to -49), then in 30 minutes the temp is more like -35 to -40, then in 40 minutes the temp is more like -25 to -30, etc.

Right now the system has been running for about 45 to 50 minutes and the temp is @ -21.3, and very slowly raising. I mean like every 10 - 15 seconds or so it raises .1 - .3C.

Compressor isn't too hot -- probably ~ 100-110F (it's warm to the touch, but not hot).

Suction line is cold, but there's no frost very close to the compressor so it's not sucking back the refrigerant.

I have a huge condensor/fan so that's not the problem.

High side pressure is ~ 150 PSI. However, the schader valve for the high side is before the condensor, not sure if that makes any difference.

Low side is somewhere in the negative, not sure b/c my guages don't like negatives too much (they don't seem accurate).

Possible things that could be wrong in my head:

Ice in the system, blocking up the cap tube. I did a pretty good vacuum on the system. I let it vacuum for quite a while and then filled with a bit of propane on high side, suction on low side, then repeated a couple times. I also heated up my lines with a torch while in the vacuum to hopefully get rid of any moisture. My only fear is that my filter/drier my be saturated from when I stupidly put the system together. The only reason I think this might not be it is b/c the high side is still relatively moderate. Wouldn't the high side be much higher PSI if it was blocked? Right now it's @ 150...

Suction line/evaporator too restrictive. I think this might be in b/c the suction line isn't getting frosty except a little bit from the evap and there seems to be a pretty strong vacuum on the low side (though vacuum measurement was taken from the access port on the compressor, not the actual suction line). BTW, my flex hose is 1/4 inch inner diameter me thinks. 3/8 inch flare ends, but it's brazed on.

Okay, since the beginning of my post it's been like an hour (slow typer, I know), and the temp is now @ -12.5C and still very slowly raising, but a little faster than it was before.

So guys... What do I need to fix?

I just wanted to apologize for the post above. Wow, I typed it over a period of time and kept taking breaks to check my system, and in that process made the post difficult to read. I'm too lazy to retype it though, heh.

Nope. Don't smell any leaks and pressures are the same. I got a new filter I'm about to install, will get back after installing/filling it.

Anyways, the temp goes up and down quite a bit. So I think it's moisture.

A late update, but update all the same -- I brazed on the new filter/drier, immediately vacuumed the system, and now I have it charged with propane checking for leaks. Found 2 leaks from stuff I brazed on just now, fixed them, and now leak checking again... So far so good.

I thought I might have a tiny leak in my evap, so I dunked it in a pitcher of water, no leaks. If I still have some sort of a leak by tomorrow I'm going to think about submerging the whole system. This is okay, right?

Well yea I figured as much.

Spent all night at work and all day at school. Didn't have time to fiddle with the system.

=(

Alright this time I vacuumed a lot longer and put a big filter/drier on the system and it seems to be holding temp @ < 50C. But then frost came all the way back to the compressor so I let some propane out and it's sitting @ -46C.

Back