• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

different memory latency

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bomaht

System:
CPU: A64 3700+
MB: A8N-SLI
Memory: 1 Gig Kingston PC3200 (3-3-3-8)
Video Card: BFG 6600GT
and 600W Okia Power Supply.

My question(s) is/are about my memory. I currently have 1 Gig of kingston(I believe) and it's latency is 3-3-3-8, which is fine for me. But I have another 512mb of ram OCZ low latency 2-3-2-6 PC3200 :cool: . I want to put the OCZ in, but everytime I do it it goes to a memory bus speed of 266mhz. :argue: I am putting the ram into the correct slots according to MFG's manuals, and making sure that it is set up for DDR.
So, is this to do with my latency? if I lower my latency will it change the bus speed of the memory? Can I safely change the bus speed of my memory to 400 mhz without worry on this board? I know that having the 1 gig @ 400mhz is better than 1.5 gig @ 266mhz, but I don't want to just let this ram sit around. I couldn't find anything about this on ASUStek, so any advice would be helpful. :bang head

I do some overclocking, and wish to do more, but wanted to get this taken care of first.

u cant manually set latency and fsb in your bios? i am using a mix of 512 3200 and 256mb 2700 ram. i'm running at 190fsb.

You have an AMD 939 3700+, but you'll lose the "Dual-Ch" capability IF you insert TWO non-matched memory sticks such as your 1GB and 512KB RAMs. That is to say your memory bandwidth can not be "doubled", i.e. it'll be same as your current SINGLE memory stick's.
If you still want to do that, I suggest you'll need to go inside your BIOS and select "User Defined Timings" rather that "Auto", then select your "overall" memory timings to your LOWEST memory stick ones, i.e 3-3-3-8, and up your memory speed to PC3200, save and re-boot. Keep your finger crossed and hopefully it works for you after re-booting!! :rolleyes:

Gabkicks said:
so even if bios says its in dual channell its not really?

"You have an AMD 939 3700+, but you'll lose the "Dual-Ch" capability IF you insert TWO non-matched memory sticks"

As I said above that "Dual-Ch" is only capable IF you have installed "matched" memory sticks both in size and timings! Your BIOS should be designed to detect that as well.

ok, thanks guys. i'll try it and i'll let you know what happens.
I am going to try changing latency and all to what is currently in system and set it to manual, then change to ddr400 and reboot and see what happens. thanks.

I am victorious!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:
Thank you guys very much for your help. It is now running at 400mhz, but yes I had to manually set the latency to 3-3-3-8 (which is the higher latency ram). So, thanks a bunch. Now it's time to have some real fun! OVERCLOCKING!!! MAHAHAHA :cool:

Back