• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need some help with watercooling upgrade.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bon3thugz43v3r

Well, its that time. I finally am going to upgrade most of my watercooling.
First, this is for the rig in my sig, so keep that in mind. First I will list what I have now in my rig.

Waterblock : Swiftech MCW6002
Radiator : Black Ice Extreme Pro
Pump and Res are built in one and I have no idea what the brand is.
Using 1/2 inch tygon tubing.

I am looking for a new pump and resovoir mainly. I would appreciate it if someone could steer me in the right direction as far as a pump and resovior for the block and radiator I have. (Links would be great)

I don't really have a ton of room for the pump and res, so anything to big will not work. As of right now, I have the pump/res combo on top of my cd drive. I have seen resovoirs that go in the drive bays, but I do not know how well they perform.

As for the pump, I just need something that is going to give me a decent flowrate. I don't really need some huge crazy pump that is really noisy. A pump that could turn on and off with the computer would be cool. :cool:

Also, where is the cheapest/reputable place to buy 1/2 Tygon tubing?

Thanks in advance. :cool:

Edit : It just occured to me that maybe a bay res that contained a pump built in would be the best option for me. If there even is such a thing, which one would actually perform good?

Last edited:
First I am in the middle of my first build so Im not exactly an expert. You could say that I have that "new car smell".

Still, I have read everything I could get my hands/eyes on and most people (not all) say that the (Laing) Swiftech MP 655/Danger Den D 5 is one of the best pumps out there. If you're using a single bay rad, the pump may be overkill. I'm sure someone else will chime in on this.

Many people feel that res's are useless. I ignored the fist fight and purchased one based on pure bling factor and nothing else. (If you listen carefully you can hear the money toilet flush)

Your res choice will likely be heavily influenced by your mounting preferences, efficient loop design, and available case space. You can use anything from a plastic bottle (.50-2.00) up to a custom bay or cyl res (150.00).

If you have the space and the cheese, you may want to consider going with a larger rad as well. This way, should you decide to add VGU or NB cooling Later , you'll just have to add the block to your loop.

My ignorant 2 cents. Your mileage may vary.

glasslicker said:
First I am in the middle of my first build so Im not exactly an expert. You could say that I have that "new car smell".

Still, I have read everything I could get my hands/eyes on and most people (not all) say that the (Laing) Swiftech MP 655/Danger Den D 5 is one of the best pumps out there. If you're using a single bay rad, the pump may be overkill. I'm sure someone else will chime in on this.

Many people feel that res's are useless. I ignored the fist fight and purchased one based on pure bling factor and nothing else. (If you listen carefully you can hear the money toilet flush)

Your res choice will likely be heavily influenced by your mounting preferences, efficient loop design, and available case space. You can use anything from a plastic bottle (.50-2.00) up to a custom bay or cyl res (150.00).

If you have the space and the cheese, you may want to consider going with a larger rad as well. This way, should you decide to add VGU or NB cooling Later , you'll just have to add the block to your loop.

My ignorant 2 cents. Your mileage may vary.

Word

Back