• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What motherboard(s) can handle two 64-bit processors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarkS

I'm not only new to this site, but new to the whole "building computers" thing.

I have 20 years of software experience, but I have never tried the hardware side. I am more than familiar with the various components needed and how to build a computer from the ground up, but I need some help with choosing the right components for my needs.

What I want to build is a dual 64-bit processor computer for gaming and 3D design. I understand that the games will not take advantage of the dual processors, but most high end 3D software will. The problem I'm having is finding a motherboard that has two processor sockets. I know such a beast exists, but where do I find it? I'm not too particular on AMD or Intel, but I like Intel's dual core processors. Two dual core chips would be nice.

Other than the processors, I want it to be able to handle up to 4 gigs (8 prefered) of memory and it must have at least one PCI Express x16 slots.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

Back