• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3800+ X2 or Opty 165 for Cool 'n Quiet tech?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

My new PC will need real power sometimes but will also spend many hours doing light webserving duty. I've read good things about the Asus Cool 'n Quiet technology (like in mobile processors) thats slows stuff down when power isn't required. I'm sure other MB manufacturers have it also but I bought an Asus A8N-E so that's my target. Some CPUs are supposed to be better than others according to some article I read but it was apparently too old to discuss Optys.

So, since I'm trying to pick a cpu, would either the 3800+X2 or Opty 165 be notably better at powering down?

HaskE said:
Both are fine. But you will want to disable it if you plan to OC it.

That sort of makes sense, but how about if I want it to be OCd as needed and UCd as not needed? Sort of an odd forum to be discussing it, I should be at Underclockers.com.

Well if you want to set the CPU's overclock on the fly, you can use a program within Windows that will do that for you. I've never used any such program, so I can't reccomend one. I'm sure someone else on this forum could.

I guess every time you leave your computer idle, you could just boot the program up and set the HTT down to wherever.

mystfied said:
I hear that ASUS' AI Booster works pretty well for on-the-fly OC, and I think you can have CoolnQuiet on as well.

Sounds like a plan. Still, I have to pick a 3800 or opty 165. Tough choice. I'm leaning towards the 3800 just now but it seems to change frequently. I'll see which is a better deal at the PC Fair this weekend.

I'm not sure how effective cool and quiet is with dual core once you put the AMD driver fix on. I thought it pretty much nerfs it because dynamic load shifting on the dual core doesn't work too well.

?

DeepScience said:
I'm not sure how effective cool and quiet is with dual core once you put the AMD driver fix on. I thought it pretty much nerfs it because dynamic load shifting on the dual core doesn't work too well.

?

AMD driver fix?

dgk said:
Not that I question your concise statement but is there a reason for this?
I will answer for him, the 3800+ has half the L2 Cache and as such will draw less power in an equivalent power state. Figure about 10 watts more for the 1MB L2 cache compared to the 512KB

dgk said:
AMD driver fix?
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

Ok, so if the cpu is working on something and u move the mouse then the comp flicks the work to the other cpu but then cool n quiet gets a shock so sends it back again and everything goes haywire. Cos of this dynamic core load thing upsetting the cpu trying to regulate its power levels. Hence the fix. But I think it works by setting a limit on the effectiveness of the coolnquiet operation as opposed to limiting the core loading operation.

Having said that, that might have been before that particular driver so try and let me know :)

DeepScience said:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

Ok, so if the cpu is working on something and u move the mouse then the comp flicks the work to the other cpu but then cool n quiet gets a shock so sends it back again and everything goes haywire. Cos of this dynamic core load thing upsetting the cpu trying to regulate its power levels. Hence the fix. But I think it works by setting a limit on the effectiveness of the coolnquiet operation as opposed to limiting the core loading operation.

Having said that, that might have been before that particular driver so try and let me know :)

Thanks, I pulled a bunch of those down. I guess the Driver ones are the fixes. I took both 32 and 64 since I'm not sure what I'm going to run.

Back