• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aerocool GateWatch and CoolWatch - Thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerlAddict

Anybody have either of these two devices and care to share their thoughts?

I'm going to be using orange for everything possible in my case, and my DigiDoc 5+ has a blue LCD and doesn't control the RPM's of the fans it can hook up to, so I thought I'd get the GateWatch since it's red color has been more orangish in every picture I've ever seen of it.

However, they have a panel called the CoolWatch that looks similar and controls all the fans and temp settings via software, making room for a card reader on the side as well as a couple of USB ports and a headphone and mic jack. It's looks a little more red than the GateWatch just from the stock photos, but I can live with that.

I can't, however, fathom why in the name of all that is holy they would put a CARTOON DINOSAUR on the LCD that wags it's tail. I mean, seriously.

Anybody have one of those CoolWatch's and know if you can turn the dino off but leave the rest of the LCD on?

And yeah, I know there are plenty of nice fan controls that do the same job for cheaper, but I'm going for looks and temp monitoring, mostly. I've got 10 5.25" bays to fill up with odds and ends, and a man only needs so many DVD drives. :D

I have the GateWatch and it's really nice. 4 fan controllers, 4 temp readers. Easy to switch between different fans/temps to display. They both have the stupid dog/dinasaur thing that just "wags" or dances to the sound or speed of the fan. I dunno, it doesn't look too stupid. The red looks red, so don't be fooled by the pictures.

Also, I have tooless bay drives, and it was sort of a hassle getting it installed into the drive, but possible. Also, I don't recommend installing the sound portion, it doesn't need it, the thing will warn you either way and you don't need some alarm blasting through your speakers.

I would've like to have tried the coolwatch though, the only reason I didn't get it is because I wanted to have control of the fan and such physically, not by software, and also I already had a 20-in-1 card reader.

Thanks for the info, man! Any chance you could attach a pic of what yours looks like on? All I've been able to see are the stock photos. Wonder if there is any way to mod an LCD to show different colors, seeing as how it's a multicolored one already. I don't know where I'll ever find any front-bay devices with orange LCD panels like this.

I like being able to control my fans with a knob, as well, though I'm planning on getting some rheobuses for that, so this was mostly to replace my DigiDoc 5+ temperature monitors.

I've also got a card reader built into my Dell LCD, so I don't really need that. Thought it might be nice should I want to copy one SD card to another, but not really that important. The front headphone jack would be nice, though, and I'm never opposed to more front USB ports.

I had the aerowatch on one of my older rigs, and to be honest, I wasnt pleased with it at all, the interface wasnt the best, turning the fans speed up or down was to slow, and the instruction manual was "google translated" if you know what I mean. There are not to many orange lcd 5.25 devices that I am aware of, but look at the bright side, your rig when done, will be that much more unique ;)

I read someone else in another section saying that the GateWatch is actually a back-lit LCD. Can you see the LEDs in yours, Tree? How hard do you think they would be to replace?

The interface does look a little cluttered, but my only real interest is the temp monitoring. I'll use rheobuses for all my fan control.

Back