• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stick with onboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firestrider

I watch dvd's, play mp3's and 2 games WoW and WC3 mostly. Is a soundcard upgrade advisable? I sense no problem with my sound right now, will a new soundcard like x-fi or audigy 2 zs blow me away or just give me little improvement? My current onboard sound is listed in signature

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. This is especially true with audio equipment, you can spend a truckload of money easily with this stuff.

onboard is not the best but gets the job done... just like an old VW Bug. The onboard will use more CPU then a add-in. personally i wouldnt touch SB's because of the hissing/poping noises some users have mentioned. For that reason i have stayed away from SB's. I would highly recommend M-audio revo 7.1 @newegg for about $95. Great for dvd movies with the level matching for headphones up to 7.1 audio out. Both use the same Audio IC from Ice (Audio?). i know its ice something, M-audio uses higher quality parts which lends it self to lower [email protected]% and better SNR@107db then most of the SB's. I havent read on new ones being the xi-fi so i can speak for them. I did notice audio quality for music was much better in mp3's/cd's on my altec headphones on the revo7.1 vs the Fortissimo III.

I would only upgrade if you are an audiophile or are experiencing problems with your sound. I didn't get a card until my new motherboard's onboard sound relayed interference over my speakers/headphones.

If you are willing to drop 30 bucks... grab a Sound Blaster Live 24bit... it will blow you away. I have it in my HTPC. i ust to have an older SB live card but the difference is amazing between the SB LIVE 24bit and the old sb live and onboard. Pluss you can have 7.1 analog out or Digital out on the SB Live 24 bit. currently i am using a Headphone to RCA to go to my digital reciever for it to decode

http://www.mycableshop.com/300x300/MUMFRCA.jpg

But b 4 my digital reciever i had 5.1 analog out using three of thoes converters... sound is amazing... definetly worth the 30 bucks PLUSS it uses the same Chip as the Audigy 2zs... just without all the crazy features. So dont waste your money on an Audigy or above... its a waste... grab a SB Live 24 BIT ... you wont be let down.

Back