• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wait for i845D?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

high_lander

Registered
What do you guys or gals think?

I want a P4 with DDR, and my choices are limited:

1. P4X266 avail. now, but limited mfg.
2. SiS645 not avail. now, but shipping soon. Intel blessed, but I have never used and SiS product, a little nervous about it. Also, who is going to make the boards?
3. Wait for i845D, which ships this month. Probably big mfg support from major players. 815, 850 were widely supported and tweakable (a must) and fairly decent as far as speed, mem bandwidth and such.

I guess the question really is: Will Intel cripple the 845D, so that it is slower than 850, just to please Rambutt? The first two P4-DRR chipsets are a match for 850, will 845D be one too?

Unless you absolutely have to get a new mb right now, I would wait another month or 2 and let some boards come out running the new chipsets and read some reviews. The only Sis chipset board that pricewatch has listed is an ECS board, which I don't think supports any overclocking options. I'm also interested in the i845 ddr platform to see what kind of performance that Intel will get out of it. Also, the northwood processors should be on the market in quantity hopefully and you will be able to get a better performing proc with more overclocking potential.

Back