• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Mobo to get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Avairen

Registered
I just recently purchased 2 gigs of g.skill D500 f1-400usu2 and found out my current motherboard(chaintech vnf4/ultra) doesn't run stable, even with auto settings. Now to the point, I basically just want something that I could learn to overclock with and something that is really stable and has sli. Companies that I would really like to stick with are asus and dfi, asus just because I used to own an a7n8x-deluxe and it was one of the best boards I have ever used, dfi b/c I know they have great overclocking potential. Budget really isn't an issue and as long as it meets my requirements I previously stated.

All suggestions/comments welcome I just need some opinions to point me in the right direction. Just so you know, I currently have an amd 3200 venice core proc, 2 gigs g.skill ram, ati x800xl, and a really crappy IBM HD(need to upgrade that)

thanks

Like I said, I'm willing to pay whatever really as long as it's stable, something I can learn to OC with pretty easily and is SLI ready.

Avairen said:
Like I said, I'm willing to pay whatever really as long as it's stable, something I can learn to OC with pretty easily and is SLI ready.

Go with the A8N32-SLI Deluxe, so far the easest board to overclock for me.

For AMD, the best stability overclocker mobo king is DFI.

ASUS makes the best boards for Intel but not so good for AMD. If I'm building an Intel setup, ASUS would be the only board I would use. For AMD, they are decent but there are many other board makers that are much better than ASUS in stability and overclockability. I'm sure your Chaintech VNF4-Ultra is better overclocker than the ASUS. Although the VNF4 is a inexpensivve board, From reviews, it is able to handle above 500HTT. On the other hand, reviews shows ASUS will have a hard time with stability and booting over 290HTT. A few ASUS boards (like the AN8 SLI Premium) may be able to get a little over that but not the best overclocking board.

Check out the reviews on this board before you make this investment. I would recommend the DFI Ulta-D. You can also convert this board to SLI if you need to go SLI. This is a SLI board without the SLI price tag and extremely stable.

After reading many reviews about the dfi boards the same thing keeps being said, "make sure your ram and psu are compatible." I have 2gigs of g.skill D500 and an antec neopower will they both work?

The Epox 9NDA+ series (SLI included) are very stable, have very good build quality and are user friendly.

Keep in mind that with the myriad options on the DFI, you'll need to allocate ample time for learning and experimentation. Depending on the amount of time you wish to dedicate to overclocking and/or your need/preference for maximum parameter configuration flexibility, the Epox may be a good choice.

Avairen said:
After reading many reviews about the dfi boards the same thing keeps being said, "make sure your ram and psu are compatible." I have 2gigs of g.skill D500 and an antec neopower will they both work?

Your power suplly will work but I would recommend a PSU with single 12V rail that is at lease 30A if you are overclocking. Maybe your overclock stability issue is not due to the Chaintech mobo, maybe it's your power supply.

Personally I don't trust Antec PSU. They are OK for normal use but definately not a performance PSU. Get a Silverstone 56ZF 560W, OCZ Powerstream 520W, or the Sparkle 550W.

RAM is fine. You just have to update the bios.

Last edited:
well, I tried updating the bios last night to see if I could just keep the chaintech. Computer doesn't work now and no one is answering my question in the other thread I made so I guess I'll just have to get a new mobo and try and fix the chaintech later.

Thx for all the opinions though guys.

Back