• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD when x1900 driver starts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

proth

I have been pulling my hair out for 3 days trying to get my x1900xtx running on the P5WD2-e. During windows boot it BSODs with the error of a hardware event, protection fault at 0x7f.. which is the IVT.

This has run before with a different combination of parts. The board is fine. What I've done so far:

Flash Latest BIOS
Fresh format and XP SP2 reload
Load latest 975 chipset drivers
Loading standard VGA drivers first
Trying CCC 6.1
Trying CCC 6.2

Runs great with the VGA drivers.

Any ideas?

Tried a different PSU/mobo? It doesn't sound like it's driver or OS related at all after what you've mentioned. Try it in the lower card slot and see what it does.

:shrug:

El<(')>Maxi said:
Tried a different PSU/mobo? It doesn't sound like it's driver or OS related at all after what you've mentioned. Try it in the lower card slot and see what it does.

:shrug:

This is a different mobo, but it's a brand new P5WD2-e and a 570 that has worked before. Definately sure latest chipset drivers are loaded. Had this problem with the x1800 before it was exchanged for the x1900, but with different hardware, didn't pursue it cause the x1800 was going back Depending on the order of installing things, sometimes the driver loads, but it's limited to 4 bit color and 640x480. The only thing that's new and unproven is the temps, 10-20c colder, and the water block which needed pockets milled out for component clearance. Really sure nothing is hitting or shorting. Will pull the block off AGAIN...and try it back on air after reformatting and reloading with stock PCI video card.

Any one heard of x1900 dependance on any Windows critical updates to stock installed SP2.?. Will have to register XP again to them and did this 6 times within the last week

Back