• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

smoothwall or ipcop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PLOBBY

Well, my smoothwalls hard drive just crapped out on me. Its prettty old anyways soo, i wasnt too shocked. But I think I may build a whole new decent pc, but im debating if I should make an Ipcop router or a smoothwall. Ive never dealt with Ipcop, but my friend has and he likes it a lot. Smoothwall has been great to me, except I need a faster computer for what i want to run on it without losing speeds from the mods. Any suggestions on which i should run?

Oh yeah, I want to get QoS working, but I havent been able to get it to work from the smoothwall mod, I just cant figure out. Does Ipcop have this feature? (I have vonage and run torrents a lot) So any input would be great

Ideas are sort of scattered through here so just bare with me.

Edit -- woops didnt see the other thread...But still would like to hear some responses in here :p

Last edited:
Could a smoothie/Ipcop router work on a pentium 4? I want a ton of mods that my old one couldnt handle, it would slow my internet down to around 800 kbs when it should really be at 8 mbs down.

jajmon said:
of course a smoothy/ipcop will run on a P4 - I run IPcop on a P3-1ghz w/512 mb 30gb hdd, w/several mods

I wasnt sure if there was like a limit on new hardware or something wierd like that. But I think I may go for something pretty powerful this time :p.

http://www.smoothwall.net/products/comparison.gpl.php

If you are running the free version of smoothwall just be aware that it doesn't support SMP, so that means if your P4 that you are gonna use you are most likely gonna have to disable hyperthreading if it has it. Furthermore it says you can't use more than a gigabyte of RAM (although that should be plenty) I'm not sure if it supports DDR2 though, you could post on the smoothwall forums to check.

plobby the system requirements for a smoothy are minimal. at my afterschool job we've put together 4 of them for non-profit org's and churches.

we used old dells with 100mgz - 450mgz machines, they ran like champs and put little to no stress on the machines.

go to the www.smoothwall.org page and look for more info on system requirements. a cpu with ht or dualcore is overkill.

Beginner said:
plobby the system requirements for a smoothy are minimal. at my afterschool job we've put together 4 of them for non-profit org's and churches.

we used old dells with 100mgz - 450mgz machines, they ran like champs and put little to no stress on the machines.

go to the www.smoothwall.org page and look for more info on system requirements. a cpu with ht or dualcore is overkill.

I think the reason he wants such a powerful system is because he plans to run a lot of modifications on it. Adding quite a bit of mods to a smoothie can bring it down, mainly if it doesn't have that much RAM. For example there is this one virus scanning mod that can scan all incoming internet traffic for viruses as it passes through the smoothie, but the problem is it requires a fairly more powerful machine then the minimum requirements. I think he plans to run a number of these sorta mods like QoS so that is why he is going for a beefier machine then is usually needed.

TalRW said:
I think the reason he wants such a powerful system is because he plans to run a lot of modifications on it. Adding quite a bit of mods to a smoothie can bring it down, mainly if it doesn't have that much RAM. For example there is this one virus scanning mod that can scan all incoming internet traffic for viruses as it passes through the smoothie, but the problem is it requires a fairly more powerful machine then the minimum requirements. I think he plans to run a number of these sorta mods like QoS so that is why he is going for a beefier machine then is usually needed.

Exactly why. The 350 mhz cpu wasnt exactly cutting it for the virus scanner and such. I already have 2 512mb sticks of ddr2 sitting here not being used, and there brand new. They were going to be used for another project a while back that never worked out. So I thought if I could use them I might as well.

Ended up getting something slower, but almost everything for free. Ecs motherboard, 1300 duron (might be wrong), 2x256MB ddr pc2100, 40GB western digital 7200rpm hard drive, generic case and psu. All I paid for was the ram and hard drive which came out to ~$90.

I use Ipcop 1.4.10 on a Dell 1300 500MHz SMP box. No major problems here, it runs the built in QOS along with the mp3 filter/ layer7 filter. The only issue that I have run into is that after layer7 updates new patterns it crashes after being up for eight hours. The crashes are related to layer7 not being configured for SMP so that it caches to the system memory which causes it to overflow. I will have that worked out in a month, but it is NOT an Ipcop issue.

I am building a freesco box that will do internal network routing on a compact flash card so that I can cheaply vlan our network (so that the broadcast domains are smaller) without spending money on a cisco router or having to replace a ton of switches.

I would like to try monowall, freebsd is stable as all heck!

Edit~ I was just reading on monowalls QOS and 802.1Q capabilities and I think I might make the switch because it looks to be the best solution, but now I have to buy a Cisco 1900 or 2900 Switch!

Last edited:
PLOBBY said:
Exactly why. The 350 mhz cpu wasnt exactly cutting it for the virus scanner and such. I already have 2 512mb sticks of ddr2 sitting here not being used, and there brand new. They were going to be used for another project a while back that never worked out. So I thought if I could use them I might as well.

TalRW, i didn't take what you posted into consideration, we just ran nothing but smoothwall 2.0 and all the updates :)

plobby when you get it up and running can you do a small tutorial on how your incorparted the virus scanner. i did read through smoothwalls forums but alot of the terms and processes were beyond my understanding.

Beginner said:
TalRW, i didn't take what you posted into consideration, we just ran nothing but smoothwall 2.0 and all the updates :)

plobby when you get it up and running can you do a small tutorial on how your incorparted the virus scanner. i did read through smoothwalls forums but alot of the terms and processes were beyond my understanding.

No problem, Ill do a small tutorial on how to install it. Its pretty simple after you do it with a few mods.

For the dansguardian, do you think it will slow down my internet at all with what it would be set up on? As in, will the system be fast enough to handle it while not slowing down at all.

personally I can't answer that as my smoothie is basically a pentium 150MHz with 64 megs of RAM so I can't comment on the performance of smoothwall on a higher end machine, I would head over to the smoothwall forums I've seen quite a few of them run theirs on more powerfull machines

TalRW said:
personally I can't answer that as my smoothie is basically a pentium 150MHz with 64 megs of RAM so I can't comment on the performance of smoothwall on a higher end machine, I would head over to the smoothwall forums I've seen quite a few of them run theirs on more powerfull machines
Alright, I think I may do that then.

Back