• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about buying a 7800GS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roYal

Well I just bought the gateway 21' widescreen monitor. It plays Quake 3 WoW in 1680x1050 just fine with my 9800 pro. However, in games such as FEAR and COD2, at 1680x1050, i'm getting only like 15fps. I'm gonna wait till next year to do the whole M2 upgrade thing; so for now, i'm stuck with my AGP mobo.

My question is, I want to get a better AGP card and since GeForce released a 7800GS which is for AGP, I'm debating on buying it. Currently, I have the 9800 pro, an Intel p4 2.4ghz 800mhz fsb (2.4c northwood), and 1GB of corsair dual ddr 400. Will my cpu be a bottleneck causing me to still get low fps even if I get a 7800GS? I just want to make sure that if I get a 7800GS, that it'll solve my fps issue. I also have a 74GB raptor drive if that helps at all.

since i dont know any dates for hardware release... if you plan on keeping it for another year or so longer... go for it, the cpu will be the bottleneck but right now you video card for newer games is the bottleneck. yes it will give you that fps boost you are looking for.

Ya, I kinda figured that getting the video card will still be a tremendous upgrade for gaming performance since my 9800 pro just isn't cutting it anymore. Heh, I remember a year and a half ago this 9800 pro was cutting edge technology. Oh how times can quickly change!

Back