• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7900gt=20p/450c/1200m, 7900gtx=24p/650c/1600m, 8800gtx=32p/1000c/2000m

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker550

7900gt=20p/450c/1200m, 7900gtx=24p/650c/1600m, 8800gtx=32p/1000c/2000m

p=pipes
c=core clocks
m=memory clocks

The 7900gt is meant to be an upper midrange card and be the successor to the 7800gt with higher core/ram clocks. Ditto for the 7900gtx which is nothing more than a 90nm refresh with clock bumps. Sorry, but 7900gtx is 24 pipes, NOT 32 pipes like some of you thought and hyped about. I knew from months ago that 7900gtx is 24 pipes. If you checked my older threads, I explained that Nvidia doesnt need 32 pipes, this would be way overkill.
8800gtx is a new card which would feature 32 pipes and high clocks. I think the 1GHz core is too optimistic, id say 800MHz is relistic. 2GHz ram is relistic. Its disapointing we are still stuck with 256 bit ram :(

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20060220100915.html

geforce 8800gtx 32 pipes, 800c/2000m and to support partial dx10!

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29871

7900gtx to be very good price, only $649! This beats the 7800gtx 512mb at the same price point! 7900gt sounds too cheap, I heard itll be priced at $399 which is reasonable.

Well if that is all true then the x1900xtx will be king for longer than we all thought. And also, my 7800GT will last alot longer than I thought it would since the 7900GT is the same card and comes clocked lower. :shrug: Disappointed.

Overclocker550:

Neither of the links you provide support anything you claim about a supposed 8800gtx. Perhaps there's another link you didn't post? Not slamming you, just curious about your source.

I will likely upgrade to the 7900GT but only because I want to take advantage of my EVGA trade-up. I'd recommend to skip the 7900 series otherwise. DX10 is the future, and just around the bend. The next gen cards will be DX10 compatible. In fact, perhaps holding out until the 2nd gen of DX10 cards is wise.

Thread Title: "8800gtx=32p/1000c/2000m"
OC550's Post: "geforce 8800gtx 32 pipes, 800c/2000m and to support partial dx10!"

Not sure about everyone else, but i see a contridiction; i hope its a typo!

Edit: I have to agree with MoreGooder aswell, there is no mention of a Geforce "8800" Maybe not yet! But Still! nVidia could change their branding for the next card.

Also, you used The Inquirer as a source, a source i find very unreliable.. X-Bit Labs (a respected source) also doesn't mention the Geforce 8800 liek you've stated, only the G80.

:(

Last edited:
the g71 is presumably a reworked g70 core so it will see a greater performance per mhz than the g70. Given equal clocks the g71 will probably spank the g70.

Grr. This is dissapointing. I was hoping I'd be able to take advantadge of my trade up and get a next gen card. Oh well. I still might do it if I can find the money.

would it be best to wait before purchasing a 7800gt and see if they come down in price or buy a 7900gt. Or should i just buy a 7800gt now?

More claims out of thin air. :rolleyes:

The only thing I know is that I'll be going to Conroe and hopefully the DX10 cards will be in full swing by then. Also, unless nVidia gets their act together and starts supporting SLi on the Intel platform my DX10 purcahse will not be nVidia. I've used them for years and years, but I'm tired of their games.

wow another 7900 post from OC550? Well i hope you have better facts the the last time you posted information for us.

Overclocker550 said:
Sorry, but 7900gtx is 24 pipes, NOT 32 pipes like some of you thought and hyped about. I knew from months ago that 7900gtx is 24 pipes. If you checked my older threads, I explained that Nvidia doesnt need 32 pipes, this would be way overkill.

well if you look at the link above you would see that you were the one posting on the 7900s 32pipes, not others.

Theres still a chance G71 is 32 pipes but I had doubts all along. I am not going to make a definate conclusion, but I can say the odds of it being 24 pipes are much higher.

Nvidia supports SLI for both Intel and amd!

I would NOT be supprised if 7900gtx comes out at around $700, but I expect it to drop slowly in price.

*Disclaimer* Inquirer source, so take it as you will. *Disclaimer*

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29795

Nvidia can not raise the bar.

By Fuad Abazovic: Monday 20 February 2006, 10:19

NVIDIA'S flagship G71 won't be able to get to the speeds the firm wanted it to. We reported before that Nvidia needs at least 700MHz to beat ATI's R580 based X1900 XTX. However, according to our sources, the G71 will be nothing more than a 90 nanometre G70 die shrink. It won't have more than 24 pipelines but you never know what Nvidia has exactly up its sleeves.

It will use GDDR 3 memory running at 800MHz, with a 1600 MHz memory clock. In the case it ends up with 24 pipes it won't be enough to touch the R580, Radeon X1900 XTX performance crown. If Nvidia did put 32 pipes in G71 chip this would make its chip as a much better competitor and will make ATI run hard for its crown. We think that Nvidia could win most of the benchmarks with 32 pipes.

Nvidia plans to price its Geforce 7900 GTX very aggressively. That’s what you do if you cannot beat your competitor on the performance side. This card should cost $499 only and even the price indicates that the card won't be able to get the performance crown back. Last time Nvidia had a great card that managed to win all the benchmarks it priced its card at a saucy $650 and sold every single piece.

The cards should be sampled by the end of the month or at CeBIT. Nvidia will invite its loyal press, to Satan Clara to show them its new part. There will also be lower clocked G70 90 nanometre parts branded as Geforce 7800 GT and priced even less. Nvidia also plans to attack X1600 generation with its new 7600 GT, GS cards all scheduled for Cebit launch.

Remember, if G71 has 24 pipelines so does Sony Playstation 3. We will still sniff about it as some things are still unclear and G71 is more important to Nvidia that you can imagine. As long as it can ship millions of these chips at 550 MHz, a speed desired by Sony, Nvidia is fine.

Note they are calling $499 GTX pricing... we shall see.

Last edited:
nVidia does not have any support on the Intel chipsets for SLi on the 955, the 975, and there has been no talk at all that they will on the future 965. All they offer is that piece of crap they call nv4, and everybody who has used one hated them. They limit their clocks to 280, and even then the chipset is burning up becasue the voltage to the NB has to be raised to 1.5v to get that. Op top of that their RAID controller has been the source of more bugs in benchmarks than I care to list here.

Intel CPU's run on motherboards with Intel chipsets. When you're running a CPU like an Intel you don't hinder it with 3rd party junk. nVidia knows this, but they think people are just gonna take the hit and buy their junk. They are sadly mistaken. Word is getting around, and the people who do research have not, and will not buy them becaasue they already know this.

This is not ring around the rosey. If they want to hold the performanxce crown they better snap it up and get real. Their nv4 won't cut it. They are on the short end of the stick, and they act like they have some kind of leverage by not offering support to the Intel guys.

How many Intel guys will they loose before they wake up? The way it's looking now, they will loose them all...at least the ones who are serious. Right now two x1900xt's on a highly clocked Intel system are kicking the giant $#!^ out of their SLi garbage, and it's because it's a one sided battle.

I guess they aren't real intersted in making money. You'd think they'd be smart enough to have already figured that out.

OC550, you have again spouted off stuff out of thin air. You act like these companies are paying you to make this $#!^ sometimes. Why do you continue to post this stuff? I know you are getting nothing from it. Companies don't support people who make stuff up. They support people who use facts and the attributes of the actual product in a good light.

It's just like this 8800 BS! WTF!!! Even if they start a new numbering series they would NOT start at 8800. There is no such 8800 anywhere on the Internet, and the people I know online that DO know alot about these cards say they have not heard any such thing at all...not anywhere. Then on top of that, you post numbers for a card that doesn't exist to make it look real?

DUDE! This is OC Forums. We don't do that crap here. This place and it's people take pride in giving people real info that is correct to the best of our knowledge, or at least has some basis in fact, or at the very least a substantiated rumor.

I could come on here an say OH YEAH MAN! The XTR7900XEOC version is coming out in 2007 and is gonna be clocked at 10GHz on the GPU and the memory is gonna be .3ns 1TB Mushkin that was developed at MIT just to be uber. All that would do is to futher spam these forums...and for what purpose?!?

The people here are for real man. I've had to correct myself before even, and I do it with thanks whenever somebody points out that I'm in error. The stuff you're posting on here just comes out of fantasy land. It's like this everytime you post...and on 5 other forums.

I apologize to the rest of the forum. This is getting old man. This stuff cost people money, and alot of people that are really into this stuff have to plan their buying decisions off what they read here, and they trust this place. SOme of these guys spend a LOT of money on this stuff. This stuff about pulling numbers out of thin air and making them look like the gospel has got to stop.

....rant mode disabled

With out test of the real card nothing is real, when tests come out then we will see who is better.

It like saying the new camaro is going to be better then the new charger but not cars are out yet...

ZGOZZ said:
With out test of the real card nothing is real, when tests come out then we will see who is better.

It like saying the new camaro is going to be better then the new charger but not cars are out yet...

Good points ZGOZZ, in addition, other aspects of the cards themselves may be different, and the information we have now isn't even "official" it's just romors.

I dont believe their $499 pricing. The 7800gtx 512mb started higher than that!
As for SLI not working right for Intel, who cares. ATI doesnt have xfire, I have yet to see anyone but a few rich benchers have xfire. Also AMD is a much better choice for gaming so why even bother with Intel?

Back