• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moding a 1986 Chevette Heatercore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlanD911

I'm the guy who went and bought a watercooling kit then realized that I wanted to upgrade. So I called up Canadian Tire (I like in markham ontario Canada) and I asked them for a 1986 chevette heatercore. To my surprise they had one in stock. So I'm going to go and pick one up in an hour along with a propane torch and some barbs to mod this baby. Wish me luck since I dont have much moding experience. I will add pics too

You've done this before, correct? Its very easy to destroy the core if you heat up the barbs too much... One guy put his in a bucket of water and covered the small part that wasnt submerged in a cold wet towel leaving only the one barb he was removing exposed before he removed it.

No I have not done this before, that is why it will be an adventure. Yup the person you are talking about has a sticky in the watercooling forums. I'm going to follow his example. Are the barbs that you put on just brass hose barbs?

Will I be able to add GPU waterblocks when I use this heatercore? If so i'm down for the party.

AlanD911 said:
No I have not done this before, that is why it will be an adventure. Yup the person you are talking about has a sticky in the watercooling forums. I'm going to follow his example. Are the barbs that you put on just brass hose barbs?

In that example he just threaded the hole with a NPT tap and used brass barbs. Doesnt really matter. If you are going to braze or solder it has to be brass :D there arent copper barbs.

THanks for the info jamesavery22.

I just went to Canadian Tire and picked up the 1986 Chevetter Heater Core and a propane torch. I payed $56.70 Canadian for the heater core and 14.99 for the propane torch. Btw this radiator is pretty large! I've seen pics of it online but I never expected it to be this huge, no wonder why it does such awesome in cooling.

IMG_1148.jpg
IMG_1149.jpg
IMG_1150.jpg

56.00 bucks! Ouch, I guess that is one upside from moving away from Canada... cheaper prices. Heck, I bought a 77 Bonney dual 120mm HC for just under 23.00 us.

Look like you have different sized barbs on that thing. Guess it won't be as simple as modding the bonney core.

If you need ideas on how to attach the barbd to check this out:
4tpydv

Good luck,
Bryan d

Yea the price was kind of steep. I was wondering what kind of cooling can I expect from one of these? Can I cool one 6600gt and one 3200+ winchester overclocked with just this one heatercore? I find that in my sli setup the main card really is pushing alot of heat.

If you have powerful fans I'm sure it can cool enough to work. Can't tell you how the temps will be, but stability weighs in over temps.

AlanD911 said:
THanks for the info jamesavery22.

I just went to Canadian Tire and picked up the 1986 Chevetter Heater Core and a propane torch. I payed $56.70 Canadian for the heater core and 14.99 for the propane torch. Btw this radiator is pretty large! I've seen pics of it online but I never expected it to be this huge, no wonder why it does such awesome in cooling.

I know its kinda late now BUT I would return what you got and get a BIP or BIX or anything really, You are not going to see better temps with that unless you use some major fanage or get a blower. Even then you are better off with more area, ie, a 160 or 2x120.

Chevette was fine when it was half the price of the commercail counterpart but now that a BIP is pretty much the same price I dont see a reason for it at all.

I allready have a BIX, and it looks like the chevette heatercore will have alot better cooling, due to it being double the size of the bix.

Check my sig for rig specs and temps. I'm watercooling an overclocked 7800GT and an overclocked Opty dual core. One of these HC is definitely enough, and on top of that my rig is in an upstairs bedroom which stays at a comfy 22C. Most people look at temps max and idle without considering ambient. Pabst fans are both connected to a Zalman fan controller, but I don't know what the voltage is. I suspect around 9V. The are nearly silent, and I hear my pump more than the fans.

AlanD911 said:
I allready have a BIX, and it looks like the chevette heatercore will have alot better cooling, due to it being double the size of the bix.

But it wont....

Let us know how it turns out.

MoreGooder said:
Check my sig for rig specs and temps. I'm watercooling an overclocked 7800GT and an overclocked Opty dual core. One of these HC is definitely enough, and on top of that my rig is in an upstairs bedroom which stays at a comfy 22C. Most people look at temps max and idle without considering ambient. Pabst fans are both connected to a Zalman fan controller, but I don't know what the voltage is. I suspect around 9V. The are nearly silent, and I hear my pump more than the fans.

i'm surprised that you're getting such good cooling out of the heatercore. Hopefully I get similar results.

Ok, so I went to home depot yesterday and they didn't have the parts that I needed. So i'm going to improvise. My pump is a mcp350 with a moded 1/2" inlet. It still has a 3/8" outlet tho so I will be moding the heatercore to have a 3/8" inlet and I'm just going to stretch some clearflex over the 3/4" outlet. I will have pics in abit

I stoped by home depot and picked up abunch of fittings. It turns out you can mod a 1986 chevette heater core so that you can switch barb sizes from 1/2" to 3/8" just buy buying new barbs. Here are pics :)
IMG_1151.jpg
IMG_1153.jpg
IMG_1154.jpg
IMG_1156.jpg
IMG_1157.jpg

I started moding the core by cutting off those bell shaped ends. I soldered on the 1/2" pipe to 3/8" NPT female fitting. Then I just screwed the 3/8" barb in and checked for leaks and it's totally fine! I'm going to be using teflon tape when i put the test loop in and everything though. This was so easy, i used a torch for the first time too. I was one of those people who had no idea how to mod and now i can mod a heatercore, its really easy. I'll maybe make a quick guide later on heres more pics

IMG_1158.jpg
IMG_1159.jpg
IMG_1160.jpg
IMG_1161.jpg
IMG_1162.jpg
IMG_1163.jpg

FINISHED PRODUCT. Yea yea I know it looks like crap and I could have cut the barbs shorter to make it look nicer but I didnt want to cut off too much pipe. This mod was super easy
IMG_1164.jpg
IMG_1165.jpg

Back