• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Socket 754?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enrich

Hey there guys. I finally am going to not play with anymore socket A cpu's. I got my dad to get a socket 754 to try it out. But when he got his motherboard it didn't fit in his case so he gave it to me. Now, back on topic : ). I never worked with these cpu's as I said. As of now I am on a Amd Mobile 2400 at 2.2ghz. I was thinking what cpu should I buy with this mobo I have BIOSTAR K8NHA Grand Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb ATX AMD Motherboard (Biostar one link below). I was thinking not a Sempron 64 because I heard Sempron aren't great for gaming. I just want a cpu and a maybe an inexpensive heatsink. Mainly used for Gaming. I want to oc it too : )

Thank you guys. I really appreciate it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138240

Who said sempron's aren't good for gaming? Not true.

Get a sempron with an 8x or 9x multiplier at aleast. Otherwise it doesn't matter as they are all the same.

If getting the Sempron, I would get the one with 256K L2. These have low multi so you will need to get get a good stable mobo that can do higher HT to be able to overclock these well. If you need to cut cost, I would get the 2500 w/ the 256K and cheap RAM. You need a nice mobo like the DFI NF3-250. This is a great overclocking mobo.

Stay away from the 2500+ as you can't really overclock it. The 3000+ venice is good as well as a 3300+ or better sempron.

Well for what it looks like I think I might choose one of these from newegg.

AMD Sempron 64 3400+ Palermo 800MHz HT Socket 754 Processor Model $118.00

or

AMD Sempron 64 3100+ Palermo 800MHz HT Socket 754 Processor Model $99.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103470

No Venice or Sempron will stand a chance against in either clocks, or performance per clock, or even price.

supapi.JPG

Probably by a bit, maybe 5C higher or so...would you care if you've got double (or quadruple) the cache and are running about 100-200MHz faster? :D

The one 3000+ (or was it 2800?) DTR socket 754 clawhammer at the Egg looks to be a good buy, if you can handle shaving off the heatsink mounting bracket and stuff like that. 1MB Cache for a fraction of the price, and OCability! I should have done that :p

Back