• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p5wd2 ide question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

josh478

have 3 ide drives, anyway to hook those up? i only have the one blue ide port, can i use the raid ide ports as normal ide ports also? have sata hd's and im not using raid.

Yes you can hook them up. Do you have a CD drive? If so, put one HD (Master) and one CD-ROM (Slave) on the Blue channel. Then put the other 2 HDs on the Raid ports, either individually, or on the same channel as master and slave.

bchur83 said:
Yes you can hook them up. Do you have a CD drive? If so, put one HD (Master) and one CD-ROM (Slave) on the Blue channel. Then put the other 2 HDs on the Raid ports, either individually, or on the same channel as master and slave.

ok, i just tried hooking up my 3 CDROM drives(no ide hd's, only sata) and it will not recognize the drive thats hooked up to the red ports on my board. it recognizes them in the bios when it does its IDE scan, but after that nothing. cant even 'add new hardware' in windows with it. wondering if there are some settings i need to change in bios or what?

Last edited:
The ITE controller will NOT WORK with ATAPI (CD-ROM) Drives. PATA HD's only. Clearly stated in the Manual...

I put my extra DVD-RW in a USB ENclosure, and I use 2 DVD-Drives that way (One Internal PATA as Master, one in the USB enclosure)... I can burn DVD's at 8x on both drives simultaneously w/o issues. Or, you can get the Plextor 716A SATA-DVD-RW Drive ($$$). PATA-to-SATA Adaptors will also work if you have a free SATA port on your ICH7R - Just don;t expect to boot from a SATA interfaced DVD/CD-Rom...

:cool:

This really sucks. I have the same problem with this board. I need to have 2 cd burners at once and my HDD, but this only has 2 connections and I need 3. So I can't use the other CD driver. I ordered a wd raptor but still would like to hook up my old HDD for more storage. I guess what I'll do is unhook the other hdd and plug in the other cd drive when i need to use both burners.

Or you can get a $14 PATA-to-SATA Converter, and interface one of the CD-RW's via SATA on the ICH7R as long as you have a free SATA port...

:cool:

im not spending another dime on this computer. not even on an adapter. the guy i got it from(on the forums) is a real jerk(no names) and the thing is bent at the bottom for starters, and wont even rip at correct speeds. needless to say ill never do another deal with this jerk again, much less trade/buy.

i guess ill put the dvd burner up on craigslist, and keep my 52x cdrw.

i really think this board should have more IDE slots... i mean two cd drives, really... come on asus.

Last edited by a moderator:
immersion said:
This really sucks. I have the same problem with this board. I need to have 2 cd burners at once and my HDD, but this only has 2 connections and I need 3. So I can't use the other CD driver. I ordered a wd raptor but still would like to hook up my old HDD for more storage. I guess what I'll do is unhook the other hdd and plug in the other cd drive when i need to use both burners.

i have two cd drives already, i want a third. sata FTW

Back