• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nintendo Revolution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dan0512

Just wondering what you guys know about this system. From what I've seen, it should be a cheap, small console that will deliver a lot of fun for little money. I'm looking up to the gameplay as well. The control looks so cool you can't stop to imagine playing through all cool games with it (and thinking about the games they could make)

Lol, if it's small enough, I would love to stick it in a 5.25¨ bay in my PC... then play it on a giant LCD!

dan

I don't think it's small enough to fit in a 5.25" bay but I do know it's supposed to be pretty compact. Anyways I remember a thread a couple weeks back about the console/its controller and everyone seemed pretty enthusiastic! People seem to like the idea of a cheaper console that is almost as good as the big boys out there.

I like the design and all, but after buying the Gamecube I think I will give the Revolution some time.

I like the design of the Gamecube also, but was let down by the no online play and lack of games compared to other systems. And my next console will definitly have to do online games, not just 2 or so like the Gamecube had.

As for the pointing controller the jury is still out on that, I guess that's one of those things I will need to try first.

from what ive heard its gonna run around 100-150$ and you will be able to play any game made by nintendo for every system up until the revolution....but by downloading them from the internet...there will probably be a price invovled with this but shouldnt be to extravagant...

I want launch titles, the DS fooled me into thinking we'd all be playing Metroid Hunters and Nintendo still hasn't delivered! Mariokart and my GBA collection are the only games I play on the DS. If the Revolution is as badly neglected by the developers, I'll pass. But if they deliver FPS gameplay with their controller, sign me up.

cornbread said:
I like the design and all, but after buying the Gamecube I think I will give the Revolution some time.

I like the design of the Gamecube also, but was let down by the no online play and lack of games compared to other systems. And my next console will definitly have to do online games, not just 2 or so like the Gamecube had.

As for the pointing controller the jury is still out on that, I guess that's one of those things I will need to try first.

Yes after buying teh GC I was a little disappointed. Until I found how to mod it with using a SD card, you can do sooo many things, IE, play divx, emulators and roms, and run LINUX!!!!! Also, they do have online play from 3rd party software. You can get more info at www.gcdev.com

I'll get it when it comes down to $100. I rarely upgrade anything if I can't do it for less than $100.
I think i've got enough on GC to keep me busy for awhile anyway: RE 0, 1, paper mario, mario gokart, mario ddr, prince of persia series, the new Zelda, etc. Plenty of good hours left.

I read somewhere that it will be just as powerful as the XBOX but better faster performing hardware. Don't know who's doing the graphics chip ATi maybe nVidia depends also what type of storage are they using for games it is still the same as the GC discs.

I herd it will be about 3x as powerful then the current Gamecube. I remember that from somewhere, but I am not 100% sure.

i really doubt it's going to be that powerful. I remember hearing it's just going to be a slightly faster gamecube in hardware terms. But the console is aimed as a standalone, it's not meant to compete with the 360 or PS3. So says nintendo, at least ;)

"Basically, take a GameCube, double the clock rate of the CPU and GPU and you're done."

So in other words, the big wheels at Nintendo been reading the OCForums and overclocked their chip, then housed it in a new case. :D

Saves cost on production Ninty seem to be doing something right in the Next-Gen cycle. They want connectivity from GC games to the old SNES games it's a great idea. The GC had 40mb of memory so hopfully they have at least 256mb if games like Metroid Prime graphics and hardly no slow down with 40mb memory.

Imagine what developers could do with 256mb+ and a even better GPU if that statement is true. And it's basically a GCx2 then ATi must be making the chip for it.

I jumped in on the console gaming bandwagon with a $150 PS2 (it had some extras though). In general though I don't want to spend a ton of money on a gaming system. If Nintendo manages to get some very nice titles for their Revolution then it certainly will be purchased if the rumored prices are accurate.

I neither want to spend nor can afford an XBox 360 at this time. In addition, I CERTAINLY cannot afford a PS3 (at rumored prices). I just figured I would be a generation behind in console gaming... perhaps the revolution will prove me wrong...

gt24 said:
I jumped in on the console gaming bandwagon with a $150 PS2 (it had some extras though). In general though I don't want to spend a ton of money on a gaming system. If Nintendo manages to get some very nice titles for their Revolution then it certainly will be purchased if the rumored prices are accurate.

I neither want to spend nor can afford an XBox 360 at this time. In addition, I CERTAINLY cannot afford a PS3 (at rumored prices). I just figured I would be a generation behind in console gaming... perhaps the revolution will prove me wrong...

Nothing has changed then, because you were a generation behind until you bought that PS2 way, way after it released at $400. They always come down in price. $200, $150 and $100 are magical price points for Joe Blow and that hasn't changed.

I thought botht he PS2 and xbox release prices were $300.

What I read on downloading titles, was that all game downloads will be free, however, you won't be albe to download gamecube games.

Personally I think nintendo has the right idea for consoles, cheap and good for party play.

Actually, if it will play all the old SNES games at minimal expense, they will shift them by the TONNE. Have you any idea how many gaming grandmas there are out there who spend 2 days a month scouring thrift stores to find a working SNES controller, coz they just wore out their 25th one playing Tetris and DR Mario. Supplies of SNES pads and hardware are drying up, and there's millions of people out there who're desperately trying to keep thier SNES running to play all the old classics on. Nobody sees these people as serious gamers, but if Nintendo is aware they're out there, and is aware they didn't manage to satisfy them with the N64 or Gamecube, then pitching the right system at them now would get a hell of a lot of units shifted. Then if there's a huge installed user base, many major titles will follow, coz they might buy it for the oldies, but I bet they'll have at least a couple of newer titles too.

Anyhoo, they're not Sony and they're not Microsoft, since nobody likes either of those two much at the moment, it might also do well on that score.

Could be the system that puts Nintendo back on top again, but then the Dreamcast was meant to do that for Sega.

Road Warrior

One question, how did you connect the few online games that gc had to online? I believe one of them was fantasy star online. What special connect was needed to plug the gamecube online to play the games.

sulretal said:
One question, how did you connect the few online games that gc had to online? I believe one of them was fantasy star online. What special connect was needed to plug the gamecube online to play the games.

the broadband or modem adapter, google/blingo it.

I am definately getting a revolution. No doubt about it, it's going to be a great console. even with a lack of third-party developers (like the GCN), the revolution will still be kickass. but if nintendo does get their third party up, they'll dominate.

about the dreamcast, i don't see why it bombed (aside from the saturn). It was such a great console. the graphics in tokyo extreme racer for dreamcast was the same as TXR0 for PS2. no joke. the games were graphically capable of competing with the PS2, the console's controller was much better than the PS2 (IMO), and it just had so much more potential

Back