• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Akasa amber fans vs nexus real silent fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brando

I read a review on the Akasa amber series ultra silent 120mm fan today which stated it makes less noise than the Nexus 120mm even with its dual ball bearings. Has anyone tried both fans personally? I hesitate to buy "quiet" fans ever since I got burned by scythe s-flex.

really? whats wrong with the scythe sflex fans? i have the low speed ones, they are just as quiet as the nexus but i can feel it push more air. Which version do you have?

I have the 28dba 63cfm versions. The normal speed sounds like 28dba but they don't undervolt quietly with a sunbeam rheobus. There is a distinct electronic zapping and vibration. It isn't loud but it is annoying.

You're right, one does need to be pretty careful when buying "quiet" fans. Most of them are cheaply made and overhyped. Also, the methods used to rate fans varies tremendously. I'm not sure where Akasa gets off rating a 1400RPM fan at 18dBA, but a rating like that is simply dishonest. A noise floor that low is physically impossible if you're measuring it "normally." The plastic housing also looks light and low-density, which causes more vibration and rattle.

The Nexus quiet fans are made by Yate Loon, and they're a pretty reputable company. I'd go with the Nexus, which are basically the same as these:
http://www.case-mod.com/store/120mm-case-fan-yate-loon-d12sl12-orange-quiet-fan-p-1709.html
I have about seven of these fans and they're of exceptional quality.

Buying fans based on specs isn't the best way to go about it. One can generally rely on the bearing type, RPM, and pressure specs to be accurate, but after that it's a crap shoot. Your best bet is to stick with a list of reputable manufacturers. I'd trust just about any fan from Delta, Sanyo Denki, Panasonic (Panaflo), and Yate Loon - their products are consistently of high quality.

Reviews also tend to be a load of crap unless they're from SPCR. SPCR is a pretty solid resource for this kind of thing, but be warned that you can spend WAY too much time there. :) They know their stuff.

*Edit* One more thing. Don't buy fans from companies that don't make fans. Akasa, Thermaltake, Scythe, etc...none of these guys are real fan suppliers. In fact, I think the only Thermaltake really makes is gobs of transparent colored plastic, and they probably outsource for all of that, too. These companies just buy fans from someone else, relabel them, and mark up the price.

The normal speed sounds like 28dba
Sounds like 28dBA? Also, the fan in your Seasonic is a Yate Loon, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
It sounds like 28dba assuming that my Panaflo fans are actually 30dba which is their claimed noise level. The scythe is at or slightly below the noise level of my 30dba panaflo is what I'm trying to say. I havent tried yate loon or nexus because they have sleeve bearings. I was hoping to find something that provides the best of both worlds, silence and reliability. I may try an arctic cooling fan I heard about that supposedly lasts 400,000 hours, 53cfm, 23dba(I think). I will of course check out some outside opinions first. I think my Arctic cooling NV5 rev3 is rated at a higher noise level than these fans and I can't hear it.

Last edited:
I was hoping to find something that provides the best of both worlds, silence and reliability.
The Hydro Wave bearings that Panaflo uses are probably the closest you're going to get to something like that. I think Cooler Master had some "rifle bearing" fans, but I wasn't very impressed. The Yate Loon really isn't that bad - it should last a long time. Also, I found this on the Performance PCs website:
The Yate Loon 120mm quiet case fan has a true 28 dB(a) decibel rating - measured in an anechoic chamber using ISO standards. This is one instance where the case fan's decibel ratings haven't been understated by the manufacturer.
Hmm...

I read the SPCR thread and still have no idea what the truth is. One guy says it's quiet, then another guy says the opposite. Maybe there is no holy grail of fans. I suppose the Yate loons are cheap enough to replace a little more often considering they are half the price. So far the Mad Dog turboflow 120mm is still the best 2 ball bearing fan I've tried.

The Nexus has been considered the quiet fan standard for about the last year at SPCR. Nexus 120mm fans are made by Yate Loon, as are the Mad Dog 120mm fans. The Mad Dog Whisperfan is basically a medium speed sleeve bearing Yate Loon. My Whisperfan at 5V is as near-silent as my Nexus at 8V and the Papst at 6V - no surprise since they all have decent bearings and are going the same speed. All fans start to become audible with wind noise at about 1000 rpm, regardless of bearing type.

Good things have been written recently in User Reviews on SPCR about the inexpensive Globalwin NCB ceramic bearing fans:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=28842
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=29599

The few ball bearing fans I've heard are too noisy at any speed, and any increased reliability isn't really a factor for the lifetime of typical home computer.

Back