• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800gs or 7800gs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firestrider

If I unlocked the 6800gs to 16p/6v how would that compare to a 7800gs? The cheapest I can find a 6800gs agp is $232 shipped, and 7800gs agp is $299 at newegg.com. Can a 7800gs unlock to 20 pixel pipelines, just like 6800gs can unlock to 16? Also.. is it compatible with my motherboard? Since I've seen people say it isnt with p4c

well rivatuner is not up to date for 7800gs but you might be able to unlock.. if you plan on keeping you computer for another year or longer i say 7800gs. agp is agp just as long as you PSU is up to the task of the "whole system" with the card. soon as i can im getting a 7800gs for my dothan box.

I plan on keeping this system until I build my new system around the end of the year. So if you want to do the same thing then get the 7800gs. It is a very nice card and worth the money. But unless you want to save to build a new system then the would be kool too.

Eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wait till the fix this problem though... from what i have read at newegg BFG 7800gs's are good to go... maybe evga got a bad batch of gpu's.

Ya, i think i'll stick with the 6800gs agp, but there has to be a cheaper one! I saw one on ebay go for $192 shipped. And eVGA pci-e version of 6800gs goes for $169 before rebate! And it still would be a 200% performance increase over my 9600xt lol

Evilsizer said:
well rivatuner is not up to date for 7800gs but you might be able to unlock...
When do you think rivatuner will officially support a 7800gs and we will be able to see if the pipes unlock? Im not holding out hope or anything, but if it were to be successful, it could be a big deciding factor in a purchasing decision.

blitzkrieg1110 said:
When do you think rivatuner will officially support a 7800gs and we will be able to see if the pipes unlock? Im not holding out hope or anything, but if it were to be successful, it could be a big deciding factor in a purchasing decision.
i dont know when the next release it but i do know that Unwinder @guru3d.com is working on it. It is safe to say the next release he does it will be supported. How long maybe next month maybe longer... only unwinder knows im just guessing. even stock with coolbit ocing 7800gs will spank my 6800U. See we dont really know how many extra 7800cores nvidia has/had or just how bad these cores are they pawned on to the agp guys. im just waiting for prices to drop before i pop one in the my dothan rig and wait it out...

*edit*
well since you have one why not just grab the 15.8 release and see if you can...

Evilsizer said:
*edit*
well since you have one why not just grab the 15.8 release and see if you can...
i didnt even think it was possible with rivatuner. i couldnt even oc the card until i took thezfunk's advice here:
"In their forums they explain how to do it.

Open RivaTuner.cfg ( You can find this file in RT's folder) with notepad.exe.

In [GPU_10DE] section, you will see " NV47 = 90h-9Fh" , add " , F5h" at the end of this line . Then it will look like :" NV47 = 90h-9Fh ,F5h".

Works great for me. I also have a 7800GS...the XFX OC'ed one. I love it."

I'm not gonna mess with any pipe things until i know that rivatuner supports it.....im not going to take the chance of screwing up my new card (even though i doubt anything bad would happen)

blitzkrieg1110 said:
i didnt even think it was possible with rivatuner. i couldnt even oc the card until i took thezfunk's advice here:
"In their forums they explain how to do it.

Open RivaTuner.cfg ( You can find this file in RT's folder) with notepad.exe.

In [GPU_10DE] section, you will see " NV47 = 90h-9Fh" , add " , F5h" at the end of this line . Then it will look like :" NV47 = 90h-9Fh ,F5h".

Works great for me. I also have a 7800GS...the XFX OC'ed one. I love it."

I'm not gonna mess with any pipe things until i know that rivatuner supports it.....im not going to take the chance of screwing up my new card (even though i doubt anything bad would happen)
well im guessing but considering its a 7800 core it should... just go in to the "low leve system tweaks" then click on the "NVstrap driver" tab. down at the bottom is the "graphics processor configuration" then select custom in the drop down box in that G-P-C setion. Then make sure you have checked the box that reads "allow enableing of masked hardware units". then click on the customize box, you will checks next to the enabled Vertex and pixel pipes. only mess with the ones that say they are either vertex or pixel units. since its all software if something happens and you restart or shutdown, the changes you made will not stick.

Evilsizer said:
well im guessing but considering its a 7800 core it should... just go in to the "low leve system tweaks" then click on the "NVstrap driver" tab. down at the bottom is the "graphics processor configuration" then select custom in the drop down box in that G-P-C setion. Then make sure you have checked the box that reads "allow enableing of masked hardware units". then click on the customize box, you will checks next to the enabled Vertex and pixel pipes. only mess with the ones that say they are either vertex or pixel units. since its all software if something happens and you restart or shutdown, the changes you made will not stick.
ok, well i did what you said and i checked the pixel units that were disabled only (figured i'd leave the vertex for later) and it said you must restart to enable changes. i pressed yes and the computer restarted fine but when i went into rivatuner again it still said 16 pipe and 6 vertex shader. i dont know why it isnt sticking am i doing something wrong? :shrug:

i read that Unwinder at guru3d.com said that the 7800gs agp is NOT unlockable, just like the pci-e 7800's... they are laser cut, and cannot be unlocked in any way, shape, or form. Just OC the snot out of it now that you have done the RivaTuner fix so the card is now supported.

Cheers.

chevro1et said:
i read that Unwinder at guru3d.com said that the 7800gs agp is NOT unlockable, just like the pci-e 7800's... they are laser cut, and cannot be unlocked in any way, shape, or form. Just OC the snot out of it now that you have done the RivaTuner fix so the card is now supported.

Cheers.
i wasnt expecting the unlock to work but i wanted to see anyways. thanks for the info and ill just keep ocing lol :p

chevro1et said:

Cheers.
must have missed that .... there were people saying that pci-e versions were not unlockable unless they were talking about the 6800's.

Back