• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrade 6800gs to 7800gt or wait for dx10 card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bamaboy

i built a computer for myself about 3 weeks ago, it has a 6800gs pcix16, now it will run games fine but i feel i should of spent the extra and got the 7800gt, would of been like 80$, i have someone im working with wanting me to build a computer for them i want to see if they want the 6800 and then i can get a 7800 or maybe an x1800xl or xt which ever is the cheap one, i think xl, but would that be good or hold out with 6800 and then get dx10 card at the ned of the year?

That card is absolutely fine! You really shouldn't have to worry about upgrading at least until the DX10 cards come out and even then you should probably wait, and let all the bugs get ironed out. I'm pretty sure that I'll be holding on to my 6600GT until then and it doesn't seem to struggle at all as long as I back off on some of the settings on modern games. The 7800GT is a great card, but I feel it isn't enough of a upgrade to justify it. If you really want to I would wait for the 7900 at the very least.

bamaboy said:
i built a computer for myself about 3 weeks ago, it has a 6800gs pcix16, now it will run games fine but i feel i should of spent the extra and got the 7800gt, would of been like 80$, i have someone im working with wanting me to build a computer for them i want to see if they want the 6800 and then i can get a 7800 or maybe an x1800xl or xt which ever is the cheap one, i think xl, but would that be good or hold out with 6800 and then get dx10 card at the ned of the year?

Well if want to pay the difference while selling the 6800 then go for it. The 7800GT is cheaper than the x1800XL and is faster (slightly) in most things from what the reviews say so even if they are the same speed then the nvidia is cheaper.

Back