• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OK, I have looked and read and looked, but I'm still lost.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CapnKirk

I have a 3800+ Newcastle, stepping C G
http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/details.aspx?opn=ADA3800DEP4AW

I didn't know at the time they OC like crap.

I have an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe with two 6800 GT's.

I have this power supply.
http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Power/PurePower/w0023/w0023.asp

Except my number is W0023R, dunno what the R is for.

I have a Thermaltake Big Typhoon with some Arctic Silver 5 under it.

I have four 512mb sticks of PC3200 Kingston Value Ram, I didn't know at the time that this was also a bad choice.

Bios revision, back to 1006 ..I dunno...
nForce 4 SLI chipset
Gigabyte GeForce 6800GT, 256 GDDR3
Asus Extreme N 6800GT, 256 GDDR3 SLi mode
Maxtor 200Gb DiamondMax Plus Serial ATA/150
WinXP Home, SP1
Latest nVidia video and chipset drivers
3 Panaflo U1A 80 mm Fans
Enermax 80 mm Fan w/ RPM Control Knob (UC-8ABS-B)
Modified Lian-Li Aluminum midtower case by me

Here's some pics.

front.JPG

side.JPG

top.JPG

angle.JPG

airflow.JPG

I've read lots of guides, but they all seem to conflict each other here and there.
I'm looking for a guide or some help with my particular board and cpu.

I've read this guide on my laptop while tweaking my gaming rig.
http://short-media.com/review.php?r=300&p=2

But he's using different hardware, bios settings I can't find or just don't have and I just couldn't really get very far. :shrug:

Any help would really be appreciated.
Thanks.
Oh yeah and I'm broke so... :rolleyes:

"Now set your memory to its lowest divider, 133 is general recommend."

That's one of my problems, the lowest i have is 200...

The bios versions for this board all suck.

Powercord?
You mean the one that goes into the wall?

And you're joking about the ram right? :p

I need a bios with more settings and asus support and their website is a joke.
Ahh well, just a hobby anywaz.

CapnKirk said:
"Now set your memory to its lowest divider, 133 is general recommend."

That's one of my problems, the lowest i have is 200...

The bios versions for this board all suck.

Some boards use the double way of refering to ram speed. The 133 he is talking about is 266 on your board. Your lowest, 200, would be 100.

400(200)
333(166)
266(133)
200(100)

What specifically are you having problems with? Infinite's guide is a pretty darn good start to get things going.

Well, to be honest I get confused with the math part of it mostly because I'm not sure what the changes I'm making are doing exactly.

I'm learning more as I go, but really can't get more than 200MHz out of that chip without locking up or having to reset the cmos.

I did something it didn't like and corrupted a windows\system32 file and am in the process of a reformat.

Needed one anyway.

Do any of you have an idea of what that Newcastle should max at?

Maybe I'm just trying to push it too much, but the temps are good with the setup I have.

I'm guessing using 4 sticks of ram isn't helping from what I've been reading, and it's budget ram too.

In his guide he says

"Always keep an eye on the bandwidth in the upper left hand corner of the screen this tells you if you improving or hurting your performance with the timings you have set. If for example you can hit 240fsb with 2-2-2-6 or 250fsb with 2.5-3-3-8 you may find that 240fsb gives you more bandwidth and is there for more desirable, so pay attention to this value and WRITE IT DOWN along with your timings that way you can find the best performance."

What bandwidth in the upper left hand corner?

And that HTT setting that has auto and 1 through 5, sometimes I change it and it does nothing.
I downloaded the recommended bios for my CPU according to asus, but I'm finding that some older versions have more adjustments for certain things.

What would be a good bios revision to try?
That's my main problem right now.

A lil off topic..where did you get that side panel.I have the same case and big typhoon and wanted to vent it like you have..Is that custom and where did you get the grill covers..Thanx

CapnKirk said:
I'm guessing using 4 sticks of ram isn't helping from what I've been reading, and it's budget ram too.
Using 4 dimms with a proc older than E-revision forces your ram to run 333MHz 2T. Not good.
CapnKirk said:
What bandwidth in the upper left hand corner?
->
infinitevalence said:
Use Memtest86+ for testing
- -
Always keep an eye on the bandwidth in the upper left hand corner - -
CapnKirk said:
And that HTT setting that has auto and 1 through 5, sometimes I change it and it does nothing.
Always keep HTT * "HTT setting" ≤ 1000MHz

I would take off you Drive covers and spray them with some silver paint...as far as you other questions...I am sure smarter people are answering them already.

largon said:
Using 4 dimms with a proc older than E-revision forces your ram to run 333MHz 2T. Not good.->Always keep HTT * "HTT setting" ≤ 1000MHz

Yeah I was wondering why it would go to 333MHz when set on auto.
Thought is was a never ending bios bug.
Funny thing though, I had Bios revision 1006 on a floppy and decided to load it for chits and giggles.

I can run the ram at 1T with that bios. :shrug:

Exar Jun said:
I would take off you Drive covers and spray them with some silver paint...as far as you other questions...I am sure smarter people are answering them already.

Yeah, I know, all the reviews about the Lian-Li cases say the same, guess it just doesn't bother me enough ATM.

CapnKirk said:
I downloaded the recommended bios for my CPU according to asus, but I'm finding that some older versions have more adjustments for certain things.

What would be a good bios revision to try?
That's my main problem right now.

Ahh, I knew I wasn't going crazy, found this.

HTT 3X Reverting Bug:
UPDATE: 7/7/05
Seems that random bios's do not suffer from this glitch yet all the latest bios'es all definately do. Very strange bug but never the less not to nasty.

This has got to be one of the most annoying bugs yet. Not that it really is a bad thing but the A8N-SLI when equiped with any bios between 1003~1012? will randomly revert your HTT to 3X even if it is set to 4X or 5X in the bios. Most users can identify this issue simply by loading up nTune and monitoring their HTT access. The current only work around for this issue is to manually enable 4X or 5X through nTune everytime your load your OS.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=364790&highlight=bios+images

GSX1300r said:
A lil off topic..where did you get that side panel.I have the same case and big typhoon and wanted to vent it like you have..Is that custom and where did you get the grill covers..Thanx

I got the window panel from FrozenCPU.com
That place is awesome and very efficient
http://www.frozencpu.com/cpa-11.html

Fan filters here
http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=Fan Accessories/se=Fan Filters/mp=menu_search.html

And I used this hole saw to cut out the hole in the top and the two front fan holes, it's 3 inches (77 mm) perfect for 80 mm fans.
You need to spin your drill at a high speed and go in very lightly and slow.
Clean up the rough edges with a dremel or fine sandpaper.

Name0146.JPG

Name0149.JPG

And I just drilled some holes in the acrylic window with a nice sharp drill bit at a slow speed and bolted a filter on it.

Name0147.JPG

Name0148.JPG

I used these to hold the front filters on.
http://www.frozencpu.com/scr-13.html

Make sure you get all the aluminum dust, particles and shavings out of the case before assembly.

Cheers!

Thanx for the supply and info..Your setup looks sweeet..Prolly gonna cut the side blowhole and use the filter in my stock side to feed the big typhoon!!Enjoy!

Im bad at math too. I usually drop the multi to 10x then I can easily figure up my cpu speed. If your ram is set at DDR200 then you can forget it. Set the HTT at 3x and forget it too. My friends newcastle 3500+ that I used for a while was good for 2.58 at 1.55vcore.

Back