• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus a8n32 and dual 7800gtx problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bf2

Registered
Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for any relies and help from you guys. So I installed this new motherboard the asus a8n32 and loaded it up with drivers and have dual 7800gtx installed. Now the problem lies when I enable sli in windows and I want to run any benchmark or game it would freeze up. I could not find any setting in bios that would enable sli, and I assume that motherboard detects it automatically. Why does it freeze, I do have the x-fi sound in between and it fits fine no problems there. when i disable the sli it works fine and I can play games fine and benchmark. Do any of you have any problems?. I did try to underclock my cpu down to 2.7 and I will not go any lower, cause thats why I put this rig togither to overclock. I am coming from using an asus sli premium and did not have any trouble with that sli genabled.Am i missing something in the bios? I did try different video card driver from 81.95, 81.98 but nothing, same problem, it just freezes up and I have to reboot. Any advice or solution to this would be appreciated. I am using 1009 bios.

Well first, Do you have the SLI power connectors both plugged into the video cards, and do you have the extra molex connector plugged in next to the 24-pin atx plug?

Yes I do have both power connectors to both video card plugged in, not sure if molex connected to motherboard though. Cant remember cause I just installed new watercooling during weekend but only watercooling one video card cause I couldnt fit both low profile maze 4 and the sound card, maybe I forgot the plug it in didnt double check that, will let ya know when I get home from work at hospital.I really hope it is that!! :shrug:

wow someone else that works nights and gets on the forums :)

Well anyways I know the extra power connector is "needed" per the manual for more loaded down systems such as yours.

hey man, hte same thing happened to me when i booted. make sure PEG-LINK mode isnt set to anything asside from normal. it is overclocking your card.

ASUS is automaticly overclocking just about everything on your system, it comes like that. its really sort of annoying...

go into your bios. and make sure everything is set to stock performance.

set the NB/SB ratio to 16x16 on both options. and call it a day. boot and see if it works.

god luck

I'm going with Synth on this one, check and make sure you have th EZ-Connector plugged in.

Quick run down:

1. Make sure the SLI connector is attached to both cards. It's the orangish strip piece that came with the motherboard.

2. Make sure the extra power connections are attached to both cards. If your power supply doesn't have the proper connectors, you need to use adapters - the adapters take two molex plugs for each adapter/card.

3. Connect a molex power plug to the EZ plug spot on the Motherboard.

4. Go into the display properties, and into the NVidia adapter section and make sure that the SLI option is checked.

5. Also verify you have the latest NVidia reference drivers installed. If you have previously upgraded those drivers or need to, download a driver cleaner program (there are a couple free ones out there) to remove the old drivers before you install the new set.

synthetic_fenix said:
Well first, Do you have the SLI power connectors both plugged into the video cards, and do you have the extra molex connector plugged in next to the 24-pin atx plug?

Just wanted to point out the ASUS manual says to only use the "EZ-Plug" when either:

1) Using two graphics cards and a 20 pin PSU connector.

OR

2) The two graphics cards do not have auxillary power connectors.

I am not sure it would'nt hurt putting it on, but I dont think its necessary. Altho I dont have SLI yet, I am not using the EZ-Plug and not having any problems.

i have a 24 pin and a a vga connector connected and i use the ez-plug have run it that way since i bought the motherboard and havent seen any problems with it. hmmm wonder if its making my board not overclock good? doubt it i dont see any reason it would hurt anything. i run only 1 7800gt

Well so I got home and checked if easy plug was connected and indeed it was so I was like wtf . Then I went into bios set everthing to default and saved and rebooted then it hanged for a while in boot up screen and went on to load windows in an abnormal way if you know what I mean, it took a very long time, then when it did bsod, rebooted , bsod, tried safebmode and tried to system restore, and then again bsod. I was so ****ed I tried installing windows again when I selected hard drive it showed 2 74 gig harddrive, as if my whole array was gone so I had to make a new array. Anyways I ended installing windows on my raptors again in raid 0 with both video cards intalled from the begging of windows install. loaded up driver etc etc and everything is ok except damn temp from motherboad went up to 48 celcius from 42 because only one 7800 gtx is watercooled. You know on side note I installed a storm water block, mp655, maze 4 gpu water block but i am still disappointed with cpu temp, it still idles at 44 celcius, but load is better, it wont go past 50 celcius. Will I damage my cpu if I leave like this? Temp on 7800gtx is good idle 32 celcuis , load 35 celcius.

bf2 said:
Well so I got home and checked if easy plug was connected and indeed it was so I was like wtf . Then I went into bios set everthing to default and saved and rebooted then it hanged for a while in boot up screen and went on to load windows in an abnormal way if you know what I mean, it took a very long time, then when it did bsod, rebooted , bsod, tried safebmode and tried to system restore, and then again bsod. I was so ****ed I tried installing windows again when I selected hard drive it showed 2 74 gig harddrive, as if my whole array was gone so I had to make a new array. Anyways I ended installing windows on my raptors again in raid 0 with both video cards intalled from the begging of windows install. loaded up driver etc etc and everything is ok except damn temp from motherboad went up to 48 celcius from 42 because only one 7800 gtx is watercooled. You know on side note I installed a storm water block, mp655, maze 4 gpu water block but i am still disappointed with cpu temp, it still idles at 44 celcius, but load is better, it wont go past 50 celcius. Will I damage my cpu if I leave like this? Temp on 7800gtx is good idle 32 celcuis , load 35 celcius.

Its possible that your temp sensor is not calibrated correctly or it lost its calibration somehow, I know that my board reads my cpu about 3 to 4 degrees hotter then the my cpu in my buddies' A8N32.

You won't damage your CPU at that temp, but man that's too hot for a water cooled rig! Something isn't right. Once you get your SLI issues resolved, hop on over to the watercooling section of the forums and start a new thread. Meanwhile, don't even think about overclocking your CPU, and keep an eye on those temps.

Oh, and one more thing. If you just can't get your computer stable and you've tried everything you know to do, uninstall your Creative labs sound card and it's drivers with DriverCleaner. See if the system is more stable and boots up properly. Once you get it stable, re-install the sound card and see if it remains stable. If not, consider switching the sound card to another PCI slot (might not be possible with SLI on this mobo).

By water cooling standards, 50c is hot... BUT... thats really not bad load temps at all for your CPU. It shouldnt have problems lasting years and you will most likely scrap / sell it long before it ever died operating at those temps 24/7.

Right on Surfrider. I'm just concerned that his water block isn't on right. Bump his rig, waterblock shifts.... bad stuff happens. I'm just overly concerned for someone elses success I suppose. Call me bored and I'd raise my hand.

I will try to remount my block probly till friday, I tried screwing the nuts as even as possible and to the point where I just didnt feel comfortable tighting it no more cause I clllick and thats where i stopped hehe. I just dont have the time to or patience to take of ihs, that would mean I would have to take out motherboard and stuff ugggghh, but I will try to reseat it lets see what happens, oh I aslo forgot to mention that I did pour in the whole bottle of hydrix which is about 2 oz, im thinking of dumping all the water out and restarting again, do you think it will make at differenct?

Was the hydrix supposed to be mixed with distilled water? If so, then yes it will make a small difference. Pure water is the best solution, but we add additives to our solutions to kill microbes and to ward of galvanic corrosion. Most folks use 10% antifreeze, 90 distilled water, and either a few drops of iodine or some biocide from a fish (pet) store.

Here's another one. Get the latest 84.12 drivers, NOW! I had nothing but problems with SLI until I loaded these puppies up yesterday. THe only game that would run consistenetly in SLI mode with no grief was HL2. FEAR and COD2 would bsod everytime I tried to play in SLI mode. Put these drivers in and now they all run like butter in SLI mode. And for you guys who haven't been there yet, yes, I can tell the diference from when enabled or not, mainly in the texture and 'substance' on the display. SLI gives a feeling of depth that's not there in single GPU mode.
Give 'em a try.

I did install the 84.12 drivers and they work great now, except I still cant get them to do 8x antialiasing and 16x anitropic filtering, cause if I set it this way I get a screaching sound when loading up a map in bf2, but oh well I can live without out it . I dont have problems running it at 4x antiaialisng and v-sync on ,16x anitropic filtering. thanks for your advice.

Back