• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting back into a dually....Need opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jtlee75

Mobo-K8N-DRE

Ram-PQI Odered 2 but I am gonna add 2 more in a couple weeks

Case-cheap case

I am using 2 opty 240's for now and will change over to dual core opterons as the need arises. Also have an ATI X700pro if I need it. Gonna be a dedicted game server.

On a real tight budget for this as I am unemployed at the moment. This sound like a decent setup to get back into smp?

dual dual cores is the way for a future upgrade. I already had the 2-240's that I am starting out with. Got the mobo for $160 with full warrenty so I can't really complain. The lack of expansion slots may come to be an issue later but I don't really think so. Got the ram, cpu's, case, and stuff already. Mobo should be here mon.-Tues. so I can test everything.

I have the K8N-DRE and is using Linux (Gentoo). There is no problems getting the board up'n'running. The only 'issue' I have is the overclocking options. I am close to a n00b about overclocking, but I can't find much in BIOS to overclock with... It would be nice to atleast be able to change the FSB...
Also, the only tool I have found for overclocking nForce4-chips in Linux does not seem to support my old Opterons (2x242 step.CG(?)).

Last edited:
well. Finished getting the last few items today. About to start the build now. Going to run Gentoo on it for now and try to learn a little about linux. I may be visiting the other os section SOON. lol

When installing Gentoo I had some problems getting SATA to work. The reason for that was that I thought I should use a nvidia SATA-driver in the kernel. I then installed all of them (about 10-15) and Gentoo got started. I have not looked into wich of the drivers that I should really use...

Back